• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

SQE Self-fund and Visa issues

aspiringcatsolicitor

Star Member
Jun 19, 2023
Hi there,

I have just finished my second year of uni and am about to go to my third year. I have obtained a low 2:1 which I think will not be strong enough to secure a VS/TC hence I am looking to apply for vac schemes after I graduate.

As an international student, my question is, should I self-fund the SQE and hope to get a TC while studying or take a year off for VS applications on a graduate visa?

On that note, to do the SQE, will I need a student visa and do law firms absorb that cost?

I would appreciate any advice! I don't know many international students on the same route as I am.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there,

I have just finished my second year of uni and am about to go to my third year. I have obtained a low 2:1 which I think will not be strong enough to secure a VS/TC hence I am looking to apply for vac schemes after I graduate.

As an international student, my question is, should I self-fund the SQE and hope to get a TC while studying or take a year off for VS applications on a graduate visa?

On that note, to do the SQE, will I need a student visa and do law firms absorb that cost?

I would appreciate any advice! I don't know many international students on the same route as I am.
You will typically be on a student visa if the course you are on is a post-graduate diploma or masters level course. For some of the SQE prep courses that do not have an accredited level of qualification attached to them (Level 5, 6 or & qualifications), you would need the right to work in the UK. However, many future trainees on such courses are doing so on their post-study visa if they do not have an automatic right to work in the UK.

Law firms cannot pay for student visa as the visa is with you and the academic instituion, rather than tied to the firm, so this is typically a cost you would have to factor in yourself.

aspiringcatsolicitor

Star Member
Jun 19, 2023
You will typically be on a student visa if the course you are on is a post-graduate diploma or masters level course. For some of the SQE prep courses that do not have an accredited level of qualification attached to them (Level 5, 6 or & qualifications), you would need the right to work in the UK. However, many future trainees on such courses are doing so on their post-study visa if they do not have an automatic right to work in the UK.

Law firms cannot pay for student visa as the visa is with you and the academic instituion, rather than tied to the firm, so this is typically a cost you would have to factor in yourself.
Thanks for your response!

Would you recommend that I extend my student visa, self-fund the SQE and do TC applications or get a graduate visa, apply for VS and hope that I get one within those 2 years before beginning my SQE?

The first one is definitely more affordable for me but I am afraid that doing the VS graduate visa route will be a greater possibility of securing a TC in the future as not all firms offer TCs anymore. On that note, would firms retrospectively pay for the SQE and the maintenance grant?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.