• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

SQE LLM VS The SQE preparation courses

Lapistuskin

Aug 29, 2024
Hi everyone,

I recently completed my LLB with a 2:1 from a Russell Group university and am now preparing to self-fund my SQE journey. As an international student on a graduate visa, I've been accepted into the University of Law's LLM (SQE 1 & 2) Online programme, starting this September.

However, I'm torn between pursuing the LLM or opting for the University of Law's in-person SQE 1 & 2 Preparation course.

Given that I’m not currently working, do you think the online format might be a disadvantage for me? Would enrolling in the LLM program offer significant benefits in terms of knowledge and employability, or would the standalone preparation course be more practical?

I understand that the LLM is often chosen by those who seek student loan funding, but since I'm not eligible for that, it’s not a relevant factor for me.

I would really appreciate any insights, experiences, or advice you have on which option might be more advantageous in the long term.
Thank you!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
If you don't need an LLM in your home country for future work opportunities it is probably best to switch just to the SQE1 and 2 and not the LLM bit as the LLM part will just involve extra pointless time and as your other different is in person or not in person being in person is probably better for many people - you meet other students etc. (I thought the LLM options were available for most providers' online and in person courses actually but I might be wrong).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.