SQE advice post graduation?

scarlettroderick

Standard Member
Mar 28, 2024
Hello,

I have a query regarding the routes to SQE qualification and what is advisable to do in terms of the course itself.
I am a recent graduate of the University of Birmingham and intend to qualify through the SQE route. I was unfortunately unsuccessful in securing a training contract during the last cycle of applications, and am now going to be working as a paralegal.

I am unsure on whether to apply for BPP University's LLM SQE course which is full time, or continue at my paralegal role and enter the application process for TCs again this next cycle. I am not sure which is more common or whether there are more merits to one than the other. I am just quite lost with it all essentially.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Scarlett.

Reactions: LegendaryPanda

crl227

Apr 29, 2024
Hello,

I have a query regarding the routes to SQE qualification and what is advisable to do in terms of the course itself.
I am a recent graduate of the University of Birmingham and intend to qualify through the SQE route. I was unfortunately unsuccessful in securing a training contract during the last cycle of applications, and am now going to be working as a paralegal.

I am unsure on whether to apply for BPP University's LLM SQE course which is full time, or continue at my paralegal role and enter the application process for TCs again this next cycle. I am not sure which is more common or whether there are more merits to one than the other. I am just quite lost with it all essentially.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Scarlett.
Hey, I decided to self-fund the SQE, but I wish that I had done more research into firms before I committed to the course. Some firms will not consider you for their TCs/Graduate Apprenticeships if you have already started the SQE process. Additionally, due to the intensity of the course, it is quite hard to carve out time (and energy) for applications and vacation schemes. For BPP, it's just about a week's break between exams and terms but you may still have a summative to do then. I am an international student, so had the additional layer of complexity with visa restrictions etc.

That being said, if you choose to start the LLM SQE course later, my advice would be to revise the black letter law as and when you can. FLK revision of qualifying law degree modules (like contract and tort) is very self-led and honestly, the importance of it for the other 'taught' components cannot be overstated.

All the best!

LegendaryPanda

Feb 3, 2024
Hey, I decided to self-fund the SQE, but I wish that I had done more research into firms before I committed to the course. Some firms will not consider you for their TCs/Graduate Apprenticeships if you have already started the SQE process. Additionally, due to the intensity of the course, it is quite hard to carve out time (and energy) for applications and vacation schemes. For BPP, it's just about a week's break between exams and terms but you may still have a summative to do then. I am an international student, so had the additional layer of complexity with visa restrictions etc.

That being said, if you choose to start the LLM SQE course later, my advice would be to revise the black letter law as and when you can. FLK revision of qualifying law degree modules (like contract and tort) is very self-led and honestly, the importance of it for the other 'taught' components cannot be overstated.

All the best!
What do you mean some firms won't consider you if you self-fund SQE? Have you received feedback on applications from firms saying this? For what reason, if the exam is the same across the board, exactly what do you lose by self-funding? Not different to people self-funding the LPC?

crl227

Apr 29, 2024
What do you mean some firms won't consider you if you self-fund SQE? Have you received feedback on applications from firms saying this? For what reason, if the exam is the same across the board, exactly what do you lose by self-funding? Not different to people self-funding the LPC?
For some firms, the eligibility criteria for TCs/Graduate Apprenticeships stipulates that you must not have embarked on the SQE course (or something to that effect). It may not necessarily be because I self-funded it, but potentially because the firm wants its trainees to do the studying bit together? Not sure.

Disclaimer, this was definitely for the minority of firms based on the previous app cycle hence my recommendation to research the firms you are interested so that one won't be caught by surprise.

Hope this helps and all the best!

Reactions: LegendaryPanda

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For some firms, the eligibility criteria for TCs/Graduate Apprenticeships stipulates that you must not have embarked on the SQE course (or something to that effect). It may not necessarily be because I self-funded it, but potentially because the firm wants its trainees to do the studying bit together? Not sure.

Disclaimer, this was definitely for the minority of firms based on the previous app cycle hence my recommendation to research the firms you are interested so that one won't be caught by surprise.

Hope this helps and all the best!
For the graduate apprenticeships, you won’t be eligible for the training if you have self funded either the LPC/SQE as you have already completed a qualification of the same educational level/in the same topic. This means some firms may have eligibility criteria that you haven’t self-funded.

Reactions: crl227

crl227

Apr 29, 2024
For the graduate apprenticeships, you won’t be eligible for the training if you have self funded either the LPC/SQE as you have already completed a qualification of the same educational level/in the same topic. This means some firms may have eligibility criteria that you haven’t self-funded.
Ah that makes sense, thanks Jessica!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.