• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Scored a 62 overall in my first year examinations at an Oxbridge University with all grades 60 and above - will that adversely affect my VS Apps?

johnnysins

Standard Member
Aug 7, 2024
As mentioned, I scored at least a 2:1 for all my papers and I do have fairly unique extracurricular achievements with positions at College, Society and Sports domains.

I am not sure if attaining a VS to TC at magic circle/US law firms would be an issue as a result of my low 2:1 Grade.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Not for all those firms. There will be enough who will consider you and only a small number who might be looking for stronger degree results that you might want to avoid or at least interact with the garage whether it’s worthwhile applying to them first.

Reactions: johnnysins

johnnysins

Standard Member
Aug 7, 2024
Not for all those firms. There will be enough who will consider you and only a small number who might be looking for stronger degree results that you might want to avoid or at least interact with the garage whether it’s worthwhile applying to them first.
Thank you so much for the response. I have a specific question - do you think my grades would instantly bar me from applying for vacation schemes with Sidley Austin?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much for the response. I have a specific question - do you think my grades would instantly bar me from applying for vacation schemes with Sidley Austin?
I don’t know enough about that firm to comment with certainty. However, their website doesn’t seem to emphasise the need for a high or strong 2.1:

IMG_7655.jpeg

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.