• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Revising the black letter law for the SQE 1

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Hello

I am sitting the SQE this year and honestly I am very confused about the extent of the black letter law we need to know. I understand we don’t need to know cases or statutes unless they are underpinned by principles (like ryland v fletcher), but I still am unsure of how much we need to know.

my provider has provided slides, but they don’t seem very streamlined or ‘SQE adjacent’ to me. They still contain a lot of case descriptions, and they go into a lot of detail. For example there is around 500 pages of slides for land law.

In what detail do we need to know all of these? Is it the bare principles, or is it the ‘this is the formalities on how you create an easement’.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    The Revise SQE books have all the information you need. Alternatively, go to the SRA website which has the exam specification on it and you can base your revision around that.

May 30, 2023
    Hello

I am sitting the SQE this year and honestly I am very confused about the extent of the black letter law we need to know. I understand we don’t need to know cases or statutes unless they are underpinned by principles (like ryland v fletcher), but I still am unsure of how much we need to know.

my provider has provided slides, but they don’t seem very streamlined or ‘SQE adjacent’ to me. They still contain a lot of case descriptions, and they go into a lot of detail. For example there is around 500 pages of slides for land law.

In what detail do we need to know all of these? Is it the bare principles, or is it the ‘this is the formalities on how you create an easement’.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Hi, most providers will give you comprehensive manuals on the 13 practice areas of FLK, and you shouldn't need any more than that. All the FLK that you need should be included in the price and the materials from your provider. You are right that you don't need to know about cases and statutory references. You certainly don't need 500 pages of slides for land law, hope that you can find a way through for January.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.