• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

References

aditik

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
34
49
Hey guys!

So I am currently at the stage where I am asking my teachers/ex-supervisors if they could be my referees for applications, and I was wondering how everyone went about choosing referees and approaching them?

This might sound silly, but I am not exactly sure about what these referees will be asked about me, or whether they are expected to prepare a reference to give when approached by law firms. I'd just like to have some idea so I can tell my prospective referees what to expect if /when firms do contact them. If anyone is aware of what exactly firms ask for from referees, or has any advice on this generally, please do let me know! :)
 
From my experience, if they're your personal tutor/course director etc. then they will have experience with providing references for candidates so this shouldn't be a problem.

When deciding who to pick, go with someone who knows you well enough, and hopefully understands your career aspirations - that way they can provide a more specific/beneficial reference I think. I would just send them a quick email or call and explain what stage you're at, that providing references is part of the recruitment process and if they wouldn't mind providing a reference if asked.

Most firms ask for two referees as far as I've seen and often one can be a character reference, so might be good to pick a close family friend!
 
  • Like
  • ✅
Reactions: aditik and Jaysen
From my experience, if they're your personal tutor/course director etc. then they will have experience with providing references for candidates so this shouldn't be a problem.

When deciding who to pick, go with someone who knows you well enough, and hopefully understands your career aspirations - that way they can provide a more specific/beneficial reference I think. I would just send them a quick email or call and explain what stage you're at, that providing references is part of the recruitment process and if they wouldn't mind providing a reference if asked.

Most firms ask for two referees as far as I've seen and often one can be a character reference, so might be good to pick a close family friend!

Ah perfect, I did not know about the character references! I'll be sure to pick these out as well. Thank you so much :)
 

Find member