• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Previous Vacations Scheme Application questions

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Hi,

I intend to create a bank of application questions for the firm I intend to apply for this cycle. I strongly believe this will help with my firm research as their questions illustrate the value they seek in their applicants. Additionally, I think this will help with the upcoming application questions where many of them will be quite similar to their previous recruitment cycles. If anyone has applied before and has a log of their responses, or they just simply know, could you please list the questions used by firms for their vac scheme recruitment cycles?

I'm only interested in Hogan Lovells, Mishcon de Reya, Addleshaw, and Bates Wells at the min (particularly in the last 3 years as I applied for these firms last year so I know the questions already). However, I recognise many of you might interested in other firms so I thought would be good to have this thread so people can list the questions for other firms if they can!

Below is a list of ones I have so far

Mishcon (2023/24)
1) Aside from wanting a challenging career, why do you want to be a commercial lawyer, and why do you want to train at Mishcon de Reya? (300 words max)
2) We believe that successful lawyers are great Shapers: individuals with interests, hobbies, passions or visions; and the drive and motivation to develop these in order to shape the world around them. We're looking for people who can shape the information they are given; shape arguments; shape relationships; shape solutions (see https://www.mishcon.com/graduates/mishcon-shapers). Tell us about a time that you have demonstrated being a Shaper. (300 words max)
3) If we were to invite you to interview, what issue would you most like to talk about and why? This can be a non-legal issue and should be something you genuinely feel passionate about. (300 words max)

Addleshaw (2023/24)
1) What attracts you to a career in commercial law and why specifically at Addleshaw Goddard?
2) Is technology and AI an opportunity or a threat for Addleshaw Goddard and why?
3) Choose one of Addleshaw Goddard's practice areas or sectors and tell us about a major change in law or government policy that clients in that sector/practice area are facing and what opportunities that creates for us?
4) If you were in government what one thing would you change to make it easier for UK businesses to succeed and why?

Bates Wells (2023/24)
1) Tell us what has attracted you to a career in the legal industry. Please address why you want to qualify as a solicitor, and why you believe Bates Wells is the right place for you to train.
2) We are incredibly proud to be the first UK law firm to be awarded B Corp status back in 2015. Making a profit is core to all businesses but our goal is to combine this with a real social purpose. What do you predict to be the major commercial trends over the next five years which will create purpose and impact in our society?
3) Describe a recent experience which presented you with a challenge which required you to do something differently, or find a new innovative approach. You may draw on experiences from your work, voluntary experience or educational history.
4) Please tell us about an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment. When answering the question, please consider the Bates Wells values.

Reactions: tahmeedaziz

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.