• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Paralegal CV - What kind?

dinoorchestra

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Hey everyone,

I had a question regarding CV's for paralegal positions because I am very confused at this point. Do you include the skills you've gained in CV's you send in for paralegal roles or should these CV's be purely factual (only including the "job description" of your activities)? I do not have any friends or contacts that I could ask about this so I am a bit lost. Some insight would be super helpful.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I suggest more factual evidence rather than highlighting skills. If you focus on your responsbilities, usually the skills become evident anyway.

Try to avoid repeating job descriptions though. Instead try to think about highlighting your impact/success in the role. What did you achieve in those responsibilities rather than just listing the responsibilities out (like what would be on a job description).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You can write skills into work experience descriptions though. Examples include:

- Meticulously planned five people’s daily schedules to deliver the event

- Collaborated with five colleagues to deliver the project

- Created an innovative solution by designing an efficient administration system that reduced workload by 20%

- Actively listened to clients to ensure tailored advice could be provided to them.

- Utilised attention to detail to spot an error in a contract that once corrected saved the company £100,000

• 🤝
    Reactions: dinoorchestra

dinoorchestra

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Okay, I think I am slowly getting it! You mean work experience sections, such as for law firm applications, right? Or is there a "rule" for when it would be helpful in a CV for me to add my skills to my work experiences and when I should not do it?

I was also wondering about mitigating circumstances. I understand that they have to be added to the CV if you want them to be considered, but where? I am worried that if I put it at the bottom of the CV, the CV will be dismissed before the mitigating circumstances are considered.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Okay, I think I am slowly getting it! You mean work experience sections, such as for law firm applications, right? Or is there a "rule" for when it would be helpful in a CV for me to add my skills to my work experiences and when I should not do it?

I was also wondering about mitigating circumstances. I understand that they have to be added to the CV if you want them to be considered, but where? I am worried that if I put it at the bottom of the CV, the CV will be dismissed before the mitigating circumstances are considered.
    This applies to CVs or online applications - embed your skills into your responsibilities rather than highlighting them seperately.

I wouldn't put details of mitigating circumstances on a CV unless it is a brief reference to your academic results, see example below in how this could be presented.

BA Economics, University of Manchester 2000-2004
    Third year: 70% average
    Second year 64% average
    First year: 54% average (extenuating circumstances)

• 🏆
    Reactions: dinoorchestra

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.