• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Non-law to SQE

bellarrr

Dec 23, 2023
Hi, all. Just trying to get my head around to the timeline between getting a TC offer and starting the TC for a career changer who has already graduated.

If I get a TC offer in summer 2025 due to start in autumn 2027, what are the two years made up of? I've seen on Legal Cheek that firms offer a grant for each the GDL and the SQE. If you do the SQE full time I'd it just one year? And what happens if you fail - are there opportunities to resit?

Do you do both SQE & GDL as non-law or just SQE, or does it depend on the firm? If so, anyone know what the route is for Pinsent Masons / Eversheds?

Thanks a lot!

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
It depends on the firm, but I think most firms still require non-law grads to do the pgdl so you’d do that in the first year (around sept 2025) then probably start the SQE around sept 2026. Looks like that’s the route for Pinsent Masons based on their website, not sure about Eversheds.

Some firms do allow resits but not all of them, if you did have to resit your start date would probably be delayed.

I’m not sure about the resit policy at Pinsent Masons or Eversheds but I guess this is something you could ask grad rec if it’s not in their FAQs

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Follow up question- would you be able to start on your TC as you doing your SQE, can you work in a law firm or for a solicitor?
You can - there are Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeships where you study for the SQE 20% of the time and work 80% of the time. You can also just study alongside working, although it is tricky if you are working full time.

Your qualifying work experience (QWE) can be completed at any time, you don’t need any level of qualifications to complete your QWE. It is just some firms will expect you to have your degree and or SQE1/2 passed before you start work.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker for law graduates that secure a TC that starts in 2 years, and who only have to do the SQE and not the PGDL, during the first year, is it bad to take the year off or will it look bad on a CV to have one full year without any work experience?
if you have secured a TC, then it really won’t matter what you do with a year out. Your TC will trump everything.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jess. Is it acceptable to take a gap year without completing any study or professional experience, or will this be harmful in the future?
No one is going to care - lots of people take periods out before their training contract and do things like travelling/voluntary projects. As I said earlier, your TC will trump everything. They probably wouldn’t even notice the gap and even if they did, they won’t care.

Reactions: lawyerdreams

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.