• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Networking events

Kim LD

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
Hi everyone! I am struggling with networking events. I never know what to ask recruiters during networking events, how to stand out etc.

Any tips on questions or conversations I could have to make them remember my name for future applications?

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone! I am struggling with networking events. I never know what to ask recruiters during networking events, how to stand out etc.

Any tips on questions or conversations I could have to make them remember my name for future applications?

Thanks!

I used to struggle to work out what to ask recruiters too. It's far easier speaking to lawyers when you can ask them about their background and experiences.

I used these examples in relation to Slaughter and May, but you can also apply them here:

Agreed. I suggest you check out the Slaughter and May graduate page. If you have questions after reading the website -- for example, if you would like the firm to expand on a particular topic -- you can ask those to HR.

For example (and this is after a quick skim of the Slaughter and May website, so you may well know the answers to these questions):
    • How does Slaughter and May ensure trainees stay in contact with the firm during a secondment? How are secondments allocated? What about client secondments - where can trainees go? Can students second to law firms in Slaughter and May's best friend network?
    • How are starting seats allocated?
    • What are the opportunities for pro bono work?
    • Is there a induction when trainees start?
    • Does Slaughter and May continue to have a relationship with its future trainees during the GDL/LPC?
    • Do trainees have appraisals? How regular are these?
    Just make sure you aren't asking questions which aren't appropriate for HR. For example, it'll come across poorly if you ask them about the impact of rising interest rates on law firms.

Many of the best questions come as responses to the questions you are asked during the interview because they come across as genuine. For example: "You asked me about my participation in XYZ mentoring. How does the firm treat mentoring? Are there any formal mentoring programmes within the firm?"

Mainly, just try to have a genuine conversation with recruiters. That goes far further than asking questions designed to impress.

Reactions: Kim LD

Kim LD

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2018
    Thank you for the advice. I usually ask some of the questions mentioned above but feel like this is not enough as most people ask these questions.
    I will follow your advice and keep on doing what I usually do then!

Coralin96

Valued Member
    Early Bird
    Feb 28, 2018
    I think the kind of questions that will impress are questions that you've researched and are specific to the firm. Graduate recruitment will have probably heard 99% of questions before so that's more likely to make you stand out.

Reactions: Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.