• Hey Guest, join our live chat on how to secure a training contract at 6pm today! We'll be joined live with international law firm BCLP. Register by clicking attend here.

Need Advice - Applying for Vac Scheme & TCs with a low 2.1

Osh_kjidks

Sep 24, 2023
Hi! I'm relatively new to this website but I just wanted to seek some advice/guidance about my prospects for a legal career.

For context, for my A-levels, I got A* A B. I completed my LLB at Lancaster Uni which isn't a russell group but it is in the top 10 2024 uni ranking (if that helps :/). Due to covid + family issues, I really struggled to get through uni so I only graduated with a low 2.1 and didn't apply for any vac schemes either. I am currently doing the LLM SQE1&2 course at BPP (funded through the postgraduate loan).

So my question is, am I wasting my time applying for vacation schemes/TC's at top law firms (in the top 50), should I aim lower/what type of firms would I be able to get into?

Also, should I apply for direct TC's?

I have almost no legal experience:
  • one vac scheme I did back in 2018 at Allen & Overy (secured through my sixth form)
  • Criminal Mock Trial Competition (2015) - one the case but not in the overall competition.
  • Civil Litigation Mock Trial x2 - won both (2022)
-> I'm not sure if the mock trials are even relevant and if I should include them in my CV or cover letter.

Due to my lack of experience, I wanted to build up my spec by doing another vacation scheme. Tbh I dont know which to prioritize atm and self-funding the sqe isn't really an option for me rn so I am really hoping for a TC. Is this too unrealistic?

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hiya @Osh_kjidks

First off, well done on starting the LLM SQE1 and 2 at BPP - that’s a huge commitment, and balancing studies with the job search is no easy feat (doing it myself as well, so props to you!).

Although I completely appreciate the concerns you have about your low 2:1 and not coming from a Russell Group university, I wanted to say that I've met many incredible trainees and future trainees at top-tier law firms from non-Russell Group universities. Cooley is a great example and has had several exceptional associates who came from non-Russell Group universities. Firms look for well-rounded candidates, so your journey and the challenges you’ve overcome can set you apart. You should also mention Covid and family issues in your mitigating circumstances section, because this is important context that many law firms will take into account.

If you do feel like your academic performance might hold you back, I’d recommend applying to a range of firms, including those that are more flexible with their academic requirements. By broadening your options, you’ll give yourself more opportunities and also get a feel for which type of environment might suit you best. Every firm is different, and some smaller or mid-sized firms might resonate with you just as much, if not more, than larger firms. Applying across the board increases your chances and also gives you more options to consider.

In terms of your work experience and extracurricular activities, your vacation scheme at A&O from 2018 should absolutely be included in your application. Even though it may seem like it happened ages ago, it demonstrates your engagement with the legal profession from a very early age. You should also mention your mock trial success! Having been too intimidated to ever participate in mock trials myself, those are incredible achievements and show that you've been honing really important skills like advocacy, legal research, and teamwork. When mentioning these achievements, though, I'd encourage you to frame them in a way that demonstrates these skills and shows recruiters that you’ve taken steps to build your legal experience, even if you haven't secured any further legal work experience due to your circumstances.

I would also still recommend that you prioritise vacation schemes because they remain the most common way many firms recruit their trainees. Vacation schemes will also provide firms with a chance to assess you beyond your grades and existing experiences. That said, don’t rule out applying for direct training contracts - there will be plenty open in January onwards. It's important to remember though that, at some firms, the standard for recruiting directly can sometimes be more exacting.

Overall, I just wanted to say that you’re definitely not wasting your time by applying to vacation schemes or training contracts at top 50 firms. There’s no one-size-fits-all path to securing a training contract! Best of luck – you’ve got this!

Reactions: Jaysen

Osh_kjidks

Sep 24, 2023
Hiya @Osh_kjidks

First off, well done on starting the LLM SQE1 and 2 at BPP - that’s a huge commitment, and balancing studies with the job search is no easy feat (doing it myself as well, so props to you!).

Although I completely appreciate the concerns you have about your low 2:1 and not coming from a Russell Group university, I wanted to say that I've met many incredible trainees and future trainees at top-tier law firms from non-Russell Group universities. Cooley is a great example and has had several exceptional associates who came from non-Russell Group universities. Firms look for well-rounded candidates, so your journey and the challenges you’ve overcome can set you apart. You should also mention Covid and family issues in your mitigating circumstances section, because this is important context that many law firms will take into account.

If you do feel like your academic performance might hold you back, I’d recommend applying to a range of firms, including those that are more flexible with their academic requirements. By broadening your options, you’ll give yourself more opportunities and also get a feel for which type of environment might suit you best. Every firm is different, and some smaller or mid-sized firms might resonate with you just as much, if not more, than larger firms. Applying across the board increases your chances and also gives you more options to consider.

In terms of your work experience and extracurricular activities, your vacation scheme at A&O from 2018 should absolutely be included in your application. Even though it may seem like it happened ages ago, it demonstrates your engagement with the legal profession from a very early age. You should also mention your mock trial success! Having been too intimidated to ever participate in mock trials myself, those are incredible achievements and show that you've been honing really important skills like advocacy, legal research, and teamwork. When mentioning these achievements, though, I'd encourage you to frame them in a way that demonstrates these skills and shows recruiters that you’ve taken steps to build your legal experience, even if you haven't secured any further legal work experience due to your circumstances.

I would also still recommend that you prioritise vacation schemes because they remain the most common way many firms recruit their trainees. Vacation schemes will also provide firms with a chance to assess you beyond your grades and existing experiences. That said, don’t rule out applying for direct training contracts - there will be plenty open in January onwards. It's important to remember though that, at some firms, the standard for recruiting directly can sometimes be more exacting.

Overall, I just wanted to say that you’re definitely not wasting your time by applying to vacation schemes or training contracts at top 50 firms. There’s no one-size-fits-all path to securing a training contract! Best of luck – you’ve got this!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I will definitely implement your advice and apply to a broader range + include my extenuating circumstances in applications.
I wish you all the best in your future endeavors too!~ Good luck!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.