• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

Name-dropping

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Hi,

I couldn't go to the law fair at my uni this year and I am a bit stick when completing the applications now. I'm applying for smaller US firms that do not have a strong marketing presence at my uni and I was unable to meet the firms' teams. Would not being able to talk about a discussion I had with a firm's lawyer put me in a disadvantage when applying to the firm? Firms that I will be applying to include Skadden and Milbank. Do you think it is a good idea to reach to people from these firms via LinkedIn?

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi,

I couldn't go to the law fair at my uni this year and I am a bit stick when completing the applications now. I'm applying for smaller US firms that do not have a strong marketing presence at my uni and I was unable to meet the firms' teams. Would not being able to talk about a discussion I had with a firm's lawyer put me in a disadvantage when applying to the firm? Firms that I will be applying to include Skadden and Milbank. Do you think it is a good idea to reach to people from these firms via LinkedIn?

Whilst having the discussion with the firm's lawyers will stand you in good stead, and help to differentiate yourself from other candidates, I wouldn't say that it would put you at a disadvantage. That said, if you can reach out to some of their lawyers via LinkedIn I would definitely give it a go - what have you got to lose?

Reactions: Salma, Jaysen and gricole

Leke

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi,

Whilst having the discussion with the firm's lawyers will stand you in good stead, and help to differentiate yourself from other candidates, I wouldn't say that it would put you at a disadvantage. That said, if you can reach out to some of their lawyers via LinkedIn I would definitely give it a go - what have you got to lose?

Yea! Defintely...in the end talking about meeting the firm is one amazing paragraph but if you can make another amazing paragraph about the firm nothing is subtracted from your application. I will say that you try to apply for Skadden's December open day. It is pretty easy to apply to and I do not even think I applied for anything to be honest. I just emailed grad rec asking if I they were running it and told them I will like to attend if possible. They got back to me pretty promptly and I had a place on an open day with no application I think! I say it's more like try to enquire than try to apply. I will say though on trying to speak to lawyers on LinkedIn probs try to aim for the trainees before moving up to associate and partners. Trainees are probs easier to reach! Do not forget to personalise your LinkedIn invitation message. Goodluck!

Reactions: gricole and Jaysen

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    Hi,

I totally understand where you're coming from as I'm in a similar boat myself. But I wouldn't say it's a disadvantage, as there are plenty of other things you can bring to the table so to speak. E.g. if they have a strong private equity practice, you could go to a talk or something about that and say how you appreciated the opportunity to understand the client perspective - something I have done in the past!

I would echo what the others have said re LinkedIn too. Lex 100 publish a 'Day in the life' of a trainee and I messaged the trainee of a US firm I'm keen on who had written it, via LinkedIn. I told her I was interested in the firm and enjoyed reading her day in the life - she responded and we went for coffee and she gave me more tips than in 5 mins speaking to someone at a law fair, and also offered to read my app! So it's definitely worth doing!

If you're a member of groups such as Aspiring Solicitors, they have a directory of lawyers who you can message too.

Reactions: gricole and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.