• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Mitigating A level circumstances

princess8

Jun 22, 2024
Hi everyone, so I received my a level grades and I got ABC. This is better than what I was expecting considering I was suffering the loss of my grandad throughout my exams which was extremely difficult for me.
I was unaware that I would be able to apply for mitigating circumstances until the end of my exams and so I then filled in the application that my school sent me to be given special consideration by my examboards. This was around June 21st. My school said that they would shortly check this however I did not hear back from them. I was unsure of whether or not my application had been successful.
My question is, when it comes to applying for firms and I fill in the section of mitigating circumstances, what proof will they ask for? If lets say my mitigating circumstances application was denied for whatever reason (they can be quite stingy giving these out), however I still tell them what had happened showing proof of my grandad's death will firms not accept it if it wasn't accepted by exam boards?
Please let me know I appreciate it :).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, so I received my a level grades and I got ABC. This is better than what I was expecting considering I was suffering the loss of my grandad throughout my exams which was extremely difficult for me.
I was unaware that I would be able to apply for mitigating circumstances until the end of my exams and so I then filled in the application that my school sent me to be given special consideration by my examboards. This was around June 21st. My school said that they would shortly check this however I did not hear back from them. I was unsure of whether or not my application had been successful.
My question is, when it comes to applying for firms and I fill in the section of mitigating circumstances, what proof will they ask for? If lets say my mitigating circumstances application was denied for whatever reason (they can be quite stingy giving these out), however I still tell them what had happened showing proof of my grandad's death will firms not accept it if it wasn't accepted by exam boards?
Please let me know I appreciate it :).
You are unlikely to need to provide evidence for this. It is more likely that the firm would contact your school/college to ask them to verify they knew the circumstances happened and for them to provide any insight into the potential impact of your grades (e.g. what they had predicted for you ahead of the circumstances/what grades you were achieving in mock-assessments etc). But a firm may not even bother to do this and will just take your word for it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.