• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Military Service Obligation & TC

PlimptonWeld

Star Member
Jul 13, 2022
I'm a final year non-law undergrad, looking to apply to TCs and vac schemes this academic year. I have pending military service obligation (1.5 years) to complete after I graduate. Now, practically speaking, I was wondering if it's possible to take leave to complete my military service during my TC? Perhaps something like the period between the GDL and the SQE? I feel nervous thinking of going into do my military service without any job in the pipeline and securing a TC initially would give me some comfort. Practically speaking, I just have to do the military service at some point and not restricted to a certain time period, so it is flexible to a certain extent in terms of when I can start it.

I would be most grateful for any insight on this tricky matter.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm a final year non-law undergrad, looking to apply to TCs and vac schemes this academic year. I have pending military service obligation (1.5 years) to complete after I graduate. Now, practically speaking, I was wondering if it's possible to take leave to complete my military service during my TC? Perhaps something like the period between the GDL and the SQE? I feel nervous thinking of going into do my military service without any job in the pipeline and securing a TC initially would give me some comfort. Practically speaking, I just have to do the military service at some point and not restricted to a certain time period, so it is flexible to a certain extent in terms of when I can start it.

I would be most grateful for any insight on this tricky matter.
It wouldn't be practical during your TC but could be done either before the GDL or between the GDL/SQE (although I am not sure it would be advisable to study law for a year to then risk forgetting it ahead of your SQE prep/assessments), or even between finishing the SQE and starting the TC. Deferred entry for training contracts is possible and for some firms they see people commit to things like post-graduate studies and have to defer their TC start date by 12 months. 18 months maybe more difficult, although not impossible for firms with two intakes per year.

Ultimately if you know you are going to have to take 18 months out though, it maybe better to factor this into your timeline of when you would need to apply. I know it would be more reassuring to try and find something ahead of your military service, but with a potential 42 month gap (assuming you would need to do the GDL and SQE as well), you may find it easier applying this time next year rather than in this cycle. Speak to the firms you want to apply to though and get their thoughts on this.

PlimptonWeld

Star Member
Jul 13, 2022
It wouldn't be practical during your TC but could be done either before the GDL or between the GDL/SQE (although I am not sure it would be advisable to study law for a year to then risk forgetting it ahead of your SQE prep/assessments), or even between finishing the SQE and starting the TC. Deferred entry for training contracts is possible and for some firms they see people commit to things like post-graduate studies and have to defer their TC start date by 12 months. 18 months maybe more difficult, although not impossible for firms with two intakes per year.

Ultimately if you know you are going to have to take 18 months out though, it maybe better to factor this into your timeline of when you would need to apply. I know it would be more reassuring to try and find something ahead of your military service, but with a potential 42 month gap (assuming you would need to do the GDL and SQE as well), you may find it easier applying this time next year rather than in this cycle. Speak to the firms you want to apply to though and get their thoughts on this.
Thank you very much for your advice, Jessica - much appreciated as always. Would it still be worth applying to vac schemes? (esp. for US law firms that take their TCs from vac scheme cohorts)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you very much for your advice, Jessica - much appreciated as always. Would it still be worth applying to vac schemes? (esp. for US law firms that take their TCs from vac scheme cohorts)
Yes - I don’t see why not. As part of any conversion process you could raise at that point that you would want to seek deferred entry to accommodate your military commitments.

Reactions: PlimptonWeld

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.