LLM SQE1 or the SQE prep courses?

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
Oct 18, 2023
I already have a TC offer and can't get the master's loan because I have already used, it is there any difference in the teaching for the SQE LLM course or should I just do the straight prep courses?

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
Oct 18, 2023
They are only funding sqe 2 and have no preference where I do it. The issue is the TC starts in 2025 so I need to do everything this year. I have been offered a job doing some tutoring so I don't know if I should pick a 20 week or 10 week course either with Barbri or the UoL.

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    They are only funding sqe 2 and have no preference where I do it. The issue is the TC starts in 2025 so I need to do everything this year. I have been offered a job doing some tutoring so I don't know if I should pick a 20 week or 10 week course either with Barbri or the UoL.
    I would just do an SQE prep course then. If you have a law degree recently and you can study full time 10 weeks is probably enough but it will be rough. If you could do 20 weeks the learning would be easier but you need to look at how the dates work out, particularly given how long results for the Sqe take to come out

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
    Oct 18, 2023
    Yeah I think the issue I am having is that I am going to be doing part-time work to fund SQE 1, the college of legal practice said that a 13 week course needed 30 hours a week dedicated to learning whilst the Barbri one says their 20 week course was aimed at 20 hours a week which is far more manageable with my working situation. Unless those figures are wrong and people dont do as much as that. I have no idea about the university of law recomended hours. I'm worried because I must pass SQE 1 or my TC will be revoked. If I start the Barbri 20 week course in August I would still be able to sit the SQE 1 in Jan 2025. It is more expensive though. I think i'm just panicking.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.