• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

LLM SQE1 BPP part time or full time?

lawyer wannabe80@

Standard Member
  • Jul 17, 2024
    Hello.

Recently I have decided to do the Law conversion course LLM with SQE1 at BPP university, but I'm wondering if I should be doing it part time or full time. I was thinking about doing it part time as I have done a non-law degree so I can take my time learning everything without rushing to ensure I get the best grades I can and also work alongside it, but then I will be finishing the course at 2027 and that stresses me in some way because my plan after the course was to become a paralegal gain legal work experience and trying to get a TC, so me finishing at 2027 makes me wonder if I'm going to be left behind considering other applicants will have much more experience than me and I will have to rush if it makes sense?
    But at the same time I know I will struggle heavily if I decide to do it full time, I know what's it like to do few years of studying in one year as I did it with one of my A levels. I know I will end up with the passing grade but I know it wont be my best and that I probably wouldn't remember much of anything afterwards, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Is it possible for me to do part time for a year and the switch it to full time?

Any advise will help, thank you in advance🥲

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello.

Recently I have decided to do the Law conversion course LLM with SQE1 at BPP university, but I'm wondering if I should be doing it part time or full time. I was thinking about doing it part time as I have done a non-law degree so I can take my time learning everything without rushing to ensure I get the best grades I can and also work alongside it, but then I will be finishing the course at 2027 and that stresses me in some way because my plan after the course was to become a paralegal gain legal work experience and trying to get a TC, so me finishing at 2027 makes me wonder if I'm going to be left behind considering other applicants will have much more experience than me and I will have to rush if it makes sense?
    But at the same time I know I will struggle heavily if I decide to do it full time, I know what's it like to do few years of studying in one year as I did it with one of my A levels. I know I will end up with the passing grade but I know it wont be my best and that I probably wouldn't remember much of anything afterwards, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Is it possible for me to do part time for a year and the switch it to full time?

Any advise will help, thank you in advance🥲
    I wouldn’t say a GDL is doing several years studying in one year. It’s only focused on key modules which means it is a year’s worth of content (albeit fairly intense where it’s a brand new subject) and the vast majority of people manage to complete it in a year with no issues.

lawyer wannabe80@

Standard Member
  • Jul 17, 2024
    I wouldn’t say a GDL is doing several years studying in one year. It’s only focused on key modules which means it is a year’s worth of content (albeit fairly intense where it’s a brand new subject) and the vast majority of people manage to complete it in a year with no issues.
    That's what I have seen as well. It's just that I have always struggled academically, so im trying to look for a route where Im able to get the best grade possible. Also, in between I'm planning to do pro bono work, volunteer etc. But what concerns me is if I'm putting myself in a disadvantage because I will be studying till January of 2027 and compared to others who probably have more experience I will be like a "baby"....

I would want to do it full-time if I wont be struggling too much during the course, but I'm also worried if I can even get the grades I want or if theres a enough time for me to get experience afterwards and to become a paralegal so I can move on to solicitor.

I'm sorry if I'm blabbering, I'm quite stressed about this since I have to make an application soon for both uni and student finance....

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That's what I have seen as well. It's just that I have always struggled academically, so im trying to look for a route where Im able to get the best grade possible. Also, in between I'm planning to do pro bono work, volunteer etc. But what concerns me is if I'm putting myself in a disadvantage because I will be studying till January of 2027 and compared to others who probably have more experience I will be like a "baby"....

I would want to do it full-time if I wont be struggling too much during the course, but I'm also worried if I can even get the grades I want or if theres a enough time for me to get experience afterwards and to become a paralegal so I can move on to solicitor.

I'm sorry if I'm blabbering, I'm quite stressed about this since I have to make an application soon for both uni and student finance....
    If you are going to study part time you will have capacity to potentially build up other experience while you do it (like you have said with the volunteering) and so I don’t see why you’d be at a disadvantage compared to someone else applying for a 2028 training contract. Remember some people are applying direct from their undergraduate degree.

Reactions: lawyer wannabe80@

lawyer wannabe80@

Standard Member
  • Jul 17, 2024
    If you are going to study part time you will have capacity to potentially build up other experience while you do it (like you have said with the volunteering) and so I don’t see why you’d be at a disadvantage compared to someone else applying for a 2028 training contract. Remember some people are applying direct from their undergraduate degree.
    You're right, thank you so much for that reassurance!💞🥹

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.