• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Law firms requesting LPC candidates to do SQE 2 and phasing out of the LPC (what does this mean for LPC candidates?)

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2021
Hi everyone - I attended a webinar yesterday by Reed Smith and they were discussing if to apply for the SQE or the LPC? They mentioned those applying to Reed Smith for a TC who have completed and/or undergoing the LPC would have to complete SQE 2 to be on the same par as their other trainees applying. Does anyone know if other law firms are following suite or do you foresee them asking for the same in the near future?

This is slightly worrying to candidates as I am sure like myself they did not self-fund and/or undertake the LPC if they were aware they would have to undertake more exams to get a TC? There are a lot of webinars and information on doing the SQE over the LPC but I do not see a lot about those who have already done the LPC looking for a TC. What will it mean for us in the future e.g. can we no longer apply for a TC by 2031 when the LPC is no longer valid? If so, it seems a bit harsh that we are cancelled out of a qualifying into the profession to follow due to a change in legal training and most will not like myself want to pay out for more exams/courses if we self-funded the LPC. Any help on this will be appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone - I attended a webinar yesterday by Reed Smith and they were discussing if to apply for the SQE or the LPC? They mentioned those applying to Reed Smith for a TC who have completed and/or undergoing the LPC would have to complete SQE 2 to be on the same par as their other trainees applying. Does anyone know if other law firms are following suite or do you foresee them asking for the same in the near future?

This is slightly worrying to candidates as I am sure like myself they did not self-fund and/or undertake the LPC if they were aware they would have to undertake more exams to get a TC? There are a lot of webinars and information on doing the SQE over the LPC but I do not see a lot about those who have already done the LPC looking for a TC. What will it mean for us in the future e.g. can we no longer apply for a TC by 2031 when the LPC is no longer valid? If so, it seems a bit harsh that we are cancelled out of a qualifying into the profession to follow due to a change in legal training and most will not like myself want to pay out for more exams/courses if we self-funded the LPC. Any help on this will be appreciated.
Many firms only want one qualification process per intake of trainees. The reason for that is that there are a lot of differences in the training contract structure, requirements and even how the trainee themselves is employed. So many firms will want future trainees to convert their LPC qualification. Most of those firms will be sponsoring you through the SQE though, so I wouldn’t expect you to have to pay out for it.

The LPC will give you an exemption from SQE1 so it is not like all is lost.

There will be nothing stopping you from applying to SQE training contracts - it is just you’ll need to sit SQE2 at some point before you qualify.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.