Journey to a TC!

pepsicola96

Standard Member
Jul 11, 2024
Hey everyone!

I've been a long time lurker here, and thought I'd finally make an account and my own thread. It's still early days for me, but I'm going to be making my first vac scheme applications in the coming months, of course with the end goal of a TC. Like many of you, I will be trying to update this thread regularly over the next few years to track my progress and hold myself accountable.

Background
So a little background on me. I'm going into my second year of a Biological Sciences degree, studying at a (mid tier?) russell group, think Sheffield, Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds. I have sub-par A-levels (ABC) but I'm not letting that deter me, will just have to work harder and target certain firms. I averaged 69.85% in first year (still peeved about that 1 mark lol), which I'm hoping will count in my favour.

Non-legal experience:
- 5 years experience working in retail and hospital
- 6 months hospital volunteering in sixth form
- and in this coming year, will be vice president of the biosci society at my uni, will also be a course mentor to first years.

Legal Experience
- A 1 day virtual workshop with a city firm
- and in this coming year, will be a Legal Cheek campus ambassador. Though this might fall more under non-legal.

Plans for the next year
From September I plan to make some vacation scheme applications. Being a penultimate year non-law student , and with my a-levels, there are a limited number of firms available to me. Though still more than enough. I aim to make a solid 5 applications, but I've got around 10 firms in mind if I have the time. The dream of course would be to get vacation scheme offers for next spring and summer, successfully complete schemes and get a TC offer. But at the very least I would like to use this year to get more practice at the application process, more commercial awareness, more legal experience. Vac schemes aside, I will continue to work at my job and I would love to join a sports society (perhaps tennis). I'm also gonna try my best to average a 1st. Of course a 2:1 would be more than great, but since my second year is worth 1/4 of my degree, I'd like to get some good grades in the bag!

Plans for the summer
Trying to relax after a stressful end of term. Will be working a few shifts a week, and on the side doing a little research on some firms, reading up a little on the application process, some watson glaser practice and forage maybe. Certainly my immediate focus is relaxation and getting back into the gym though. Having said that I am already getting bored so I'm sure I'll be diving right in soon!

• 🏆
Reactions: THE GOAT and tinypear

pepsicola96

Standard Member
Jul 11, 2024
Application Update

Just to update, I've been doing some research to see which firms I'm able to apply that A) have a vac scheme, B) accept penultimate year non-law and C) accept my a-level grades/have no minimum requirements and I've come up with a very short and intimidating list indeed haha.

Vacation Schemes that I can apply to are:

Freshfields
Linklaters
Baker Mckenzie
Herbert Smith Freehills
Macfarlanes
Mischon de Reya
Slaughter and May

In addition, there are a number of other schemes I am eligible for, these are:

Clifford Chance (Spark Scheme)
CMS (Insight Programme)
Fieldfisher (Diversity Access Scheme)
Osborne Clarke (Insight scheme)

So quite lofty ambitions here. Including a hail mary or two (looking at you slaughter and may). As I said I have no expectations for this cycle, and if all I get out of it is application practice then so be it! But I'm still going to make the best effort I can, even if the firms available to me are some of the most competitive. I'm hoping I can make a really solid, thoroughly researched 5 or so applications to some of the more attainable firms, and then if and when I have the time, will complete the rest.

If I've missed any notable firms that are open to me this year (for vac schemes or insight schemes) please do let me know. Or if you have any tips for the above applications.

Life Currently
Well, 8 weeks into the summer holidays, roughly 8 weeks remaining, and I am bored out of mind. Some of these vac scheme applications open in about 6 weeks so I expect to be jumping on that, and filling the time with application prep since I have nothing better to do 🥲. I am still not getting more than 2 shifts a week at my job, the gym has been thoroughly neglected, and most of my home friends have not come home for summer (internships or graduated or just love their uni cities). So it's really me, my cat and my laptop. I have a few plans and visits to friends in August which I'm looking forward too (including seeing Taylor Swift at Wembley!!!), but until then expect to see a lot of me on here, may as well do something productive lol.

Until next time!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Application Update

Just to update, I've been doing some research to see which firms I'm able to apply that A) have a vac scheme, B) accept penultimate year non-law and C) accept my a-level grades/have no minimum requirements and I've come up with a very short and intimidating list indeed haha.

Vacation Schemes that I can apply to are:

Freshfields
    Linklaters
    Baker Mckenzie
    Herbert Smith Freehills
    Macfarlanes
    Mischon de Reya
    Slaughter and May

In addition, there are a number of other schemes I am eligible for, these are:

Clifford Chance (Spark Scheme)
    CMS (Insight Programme)
    Fieldfisher (Diversity Access Scheme)
    Osborne Clarke (Insight scheme)

So quite lofty ambitions here. Including a hail mary or two (looking at you slaughter and may). As I said I have no expectations for this cycle, and if all I get out of it is application practice then so be it! But I'm still going to make the best effort I can, even if the firms available to me are some of the most competitive. I'm hoping I can make a really solid, thoroughly researched 5 or so applications to some of the more attainable firms, and then if and when I have the time, will complete the rest.

If I've missed any notable firms that are open to me this year (for vac schemes or insight schemes) please do let me know. Or if you have any tips for the above applications.

Life Currently
    Well, 8 weeks into the summer holidays, roughly 8 weeks remaining, and I am bored out of mind. Some of these vac scheme applications open in about 6 weeks so I expect to be jumping on that, and filling the time with application prep since I have nothing better to do 🥲. I am still not getting more than 2 shifts a week at my job, the gym has been thoroughly neglected, and most of my home friends have not come home for summer (internships or graduated or just love their uni cities). So it's really me, my cat and my laptop. I have a few plans and visits to friends in August which I'm looking forward too (including seeing Taylor Swift at Wembley!!!), but until then expect to see a lot of me on here, may as well do something productive lol.

Until next time!

This is a great list. I look forward to following you in your journey @pepsicola96. Good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.