Is non-commercial legal experience beneficial for applications?

EastSatsuma57

May 30, 2024
Hi all hope everyone is doing well.
My university have emailed to advertise volunteer opportunities in law that revolve around things such as the Legal Advice Centre, Free Legal Help, and the Innocence Project. I am aware that these are not strictly commercial, but I'm wondering if pursuing them would boost my application to vac schemes significantly?
I am a non-law student going in to my final year, I have no legal experience but have lots of non-related work experience that I can link in to a vac scheme application, but I would like to be doing what I can to secure a vac scheme before finishing university. My grades for first year were unfortunately not the best as I got 64% (however this is mainly because I failed one module without which my average would have been 71%).
Thanks all :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all hope everyone is doing well.
My university have emailed to advertise volunteer opportunities in law that revolve around things such as the Legal Advice Centre, Free Legal Help, and the Innocence Project. I am aware that these are not strictly commercial, but I'm wondering if pursuing them would boost my application to vac schemes significantly?
I am a non-law student going in to my final year, I have no legal experience but have lots of non-related work experience that I can link in to a vac scheme application, but I would like to be doing what I can to secure a vac scheme before finishing university. My grades for first year were unfortunately not the best as I got 64% (however this is mainly because I failed one module without which my average would have been 71%).
Thanks all :)
They are good things t have in an application and can show good transferable skills. I wouldn’t say they would significantly boost an application form, but they would be a good way to add another dimension to many people’s applications.

Reactions: EastSatsuma57

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.