• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Is it worth doing applications with poor second year results?

ja_mibe

Mar 7, 2024
Hi! I have recently received a disappointing set of results for second year law and I am in the process of working out what my plan should be going into third year, so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

For context, I did pretty well in my first year. I received three firsts, with the exception of Contract Law, which I got 56 in, and my average for the year was 67. Second year, unfortunately, has not gone as smoothly and I have ended up with a 2:1 in just one module, with the rest being 2:2s. So I'm barely averaging a 2:1 for the two years combined now. Annoying that first year counts for nothing!

I am not too worried in the grand scheme of things because I know that I didn't engage with the degree as well as I should have in this past year, and with second year only counting for 1/3, if I get back to achieving results like I did in first year, then I should at least be able to graduate with a 2:1 still.

My immediate concern now is whether it is worth doing applications again during my third year? I don't want to put the time and effort into applications if my second year results will mean that I almost automatically fall into the reject pile at the first hurdle.

I went into my second year clueless about a career in commercial law. I had next-to-zero knowledge of the whole process and I didn't really have a strong idea of what career path I might be interested in. I had so little knowledge that I was actually blown away just by how many commercial law firms there are in London!!

Anyway, I didn't start the process of applying for firms until right at the end of November, when deadlines for many firms were already approaching. I had no strategy for the kind of firms I wanted to apply for, meaning I went in completely blind to it all. My earlier applications were awful but they gradually improved, and I ended up progressing past the first stage for around 6-8 very reputable firms (mostly American), three of which I reached the final stage for.

Considering I went into my second year with no knowledge of the whole process and the fact that the first half of my applications were no-hopers, I am pretty pleased with the progress I ultimately made. I feel like I would be in a good place to build on this progress now, especially since I feel that I now have even stronger extra-curriculars than I did this time last year, including an open day with an international firm. I would also have a much more focused strategy for applying to firms, meaning I wouldn't be chasing deadlines and cramming applications in, which I think played a big part in not engaging with my course properly last year.

I am just really concerned that my poor results from second year would make the decision to turn me down an obvious one. If that is the case, I would much rather hold off until after I hopefully have some stronger results in third year. Any advice would be massively helpful, thanks!

Holly2002

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 30, 2024
Hi! I have recently received a disappointing set of results for second year law and I am in the process of working out what my plan should be going into third year, so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

For context, I did pretty well in my first year. I received three firsts, with the exception of Contract Law, which I got 56 in, and my average for the year was 67. Second year, unfortunately, has not gone as smoothly and I have ended up with a 2:1 in just one module, with the rest being 2:2s. So I'm barely averaging a 2:1 for the two years combined now. Annoying that first year counts for nothing!

I am not too worried in the grand scheme of things because I know that I didn't engage with the degree as well as I should have in this past year, and with second year only counting for 1/3, if I get back to achieving results like I did in first year, then I should at least be able to graduate with a 2:1 still.

My immediate concern now is whether it is worth doing applications again during my third year? I don't want to put the time and effort into applications if my second year results will mean that I almost automatically fall into the reject pile at the first hurdle.

I went into my second year clueless about a career in commercial law. I had next-to-zero knowledge of the whole process and I didn't really have a strong idea of what career path I might be interested in. I had so little knowledge that I was actually blown away just by how many commercial law firms there are in London!!

Anyway, I didn't start the process of applying for firms until right at the end of November, when deadlines for many firms were already approaching. I had no strategy for the kind of firms I wanted to apply for, meaning I went in completely blind to it all. My earlier applications were awful but they gradually improved, and I ended up progressing past the first stage for around 6-8 very reputable firms (mostly American), three of which I reached the final stage for.

Considering I went into my second year with no knowledge of the whole process and the fact that the first half of my applications were no-hopers, I am pretty pleased with the progress I ultimately made. I feel like I would be in a good place to build on this progress now, especially since I feel that I now have even stronger extra-curriculars than I did this time last year, including an open day with an international firm. I would also have a much more focused strategy for applying to firms, meaning I wouldn't be chasing deadlines and cramming applications in, which I think played a big part in not engaging with my course properly last year.

I am just really concerned that my poor results from second year would make the decision to turn me down an obvious one. If that is the case, I would much rather hold off until after I hopefully have some stronger results in third year. Any advice would be massively helpful, thanks!
Personally, I think if you have still averaged out with a 2:1 you will be fine. Some firms require a 'good' or 'strong' 2:1 whereas others just require the 2:1 almost as a screening thing. If the rest of your application is really good I don't think it will affect you that much as it is mainly used to get you through that initial application stage. Some firm's don't even require a 2:1 so my advice would be to just research the firms and what they're looking for academics wise and choose the ones that don't value it as much.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.