• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Is it impossible for me to get a training contract... help!

cianoshea321

Dec 31, 2023
Ok so I am really interested in practicing in the UK for an international firm, mainly because the work interests me the most compared to the domestic work in firms in Ireland (I'm Irish btw) I am a bit freaked because when I was looking on LinkedIn of people training in these firms, I got very stressed because they all seem to be very accomplished academically and have a big impressive list of work experience and vac schemes they were on. I got a 2.1 (65%) in my bachelors law degree and I am currently studying my LLM in European law at a very good uni in the Netherlands, but I am still worried that I need to show not-so-average results on my applications in order to be considered. Is it possible to secure a TC with slightly average grades and not that much legal experience.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ok so I am really interested in practicing in the UK for an international firm, mainly because the work interests me the most compared to the domestic work in firms in Ireland (I'm Irish btw) I am a bit freaked because when I was looking on LinkedIn of people training in these firms, I got very stressed because they all seem to be very accomplished academically and have a big impressive list of work experience and vac schemes they were on. I got a 2.1 (65%) in my bachelors law degree and I am currently studying my LLM in European law at a very good uni in the Netherlands, but I am still worried that I need to show not-so-average results on my applications in order to be considered. Is it possible to secure a TC with slightly average grades and not that much legal experience.
Plenty of international firms out there that will consider you - it is only a minority who look for exceptional grades.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.