• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Is 60% exactly in 1st year a significant hindrance to training contract applications going into 2nd year?

SamuelJoseph2004

Jun 18, 2024
Just received my first year grades as follows this morning:
- Legal Foundations - 65
- Contract - 64
- Public - 56
- Criminal - 55
I put this into a grade calculator and this gives me exactly a 60% 2:1 average. Would this very low 2:1 in and of itself be a significant hindrance when applying for TC and VS, particularly at MC/US/SC level? Thanks in advance for any advice offered for my situation

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
I dont think its a significant hindrance! You got a 2:1 in Contract, which is one of the subjects that firms care about most, and a 2:1 overall. Also, it is only your first year, you have two more years so plenty of time to boost your grades to make an even stronger application.

• 🏆
Reactions: SamuelJoseph

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just received my first year grades as follows this morning:
- Legal Foundations - 65
- Contract - 64
- Public - 56
- Criminal - 55
I put this into a grade calculator and this gives me exactly a 60% 2:1 average. Would this very low 2:1 in and of itself be a significant hindrance when applying for TC and VS, particularly at MC/US/SC level? Thanks in advance for any advice offered for my situation
For many of these firms they will want either stronger or more consistent grades unless there is something exceptional regarding the rest of your application or there are extenuating circumstances.

It doesn’t mean you can’t apply to these firms in the future though. I would focus on getting your second year grades up and then thinking about applying to such forms in 12 months time.

SamuelJoseph

Feb 9, 2024
For many of these firms they will want either stronger or more consistent grades unless there is something exceptional regarding the rest of your application or there are extenuating circumstances.

It doesn’t mean you can’t apply to these firms in the future though. I would focus on getting your second year grades up and then thinking about applying to such forms in 12 months time.
Appreciate the honest response - I think this was what I had expected. I might still make some applications to regional firms where a lower 2:1 is likely to be more condonable obviously dependent on the rest of the application. However, as you correctly point out, I shouldn’t be going crazy with this to the point where it is going to serve as a detriment to my goal of getting my grades into a more secure and comfortable 2:1 that will ultimately create greater confidence in the strength of my applications.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Appreciate the honest response - I think this was what I had expected. I might still make some applications to regional firms where a lower 2:1 is likely to be more condonable obviously dependent on the rest of the application. However, as you correctly point out, I shouldn’t be going crazy with this to the point where it is going to serve as a detriment to my goal of getting my grades into a more secure and comfortable 2:1 that will ultimately create greater confidence in the strength of my applications.
I think you have to be careful of assuming regional firms will be looking for lower grades - I know some that are equally (and sometimes more so picky). However, there will be firms of all shapes, locations, and sizes who are less focused on grades - it will just be a case of tracking them down. It might be worthwhile also considering applying to open days or other similar events which will build up your CV/application outside of vacation scheme experiences. You may also want to look at public sector legal departments, as they tend to be much more focused on competencies/skills rather than academics or previous experience.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.