• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Introduction to commercial law?

P. Dybala

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Dear Jaysen,

I hope this message finds you well. I just had small queries and I was wondering if you can perhaps guide me.

Firstly, to the question why commercial law, I have not yet had any work experience (vacation schemes), although I have attended Open days. I am just confused about how to use my open days' experience to answer why this makes me want to do commercial law.

Secondly, from your training question guide, it says to think about what introduced you to the practice of commercial law.

What introduced me to the practice of commercial law was a commercial law workshop set up my commercial law society at my university, in which we were given an M/A case study and the guest (the trainee solicitor) walked us through the due diligence stage. This really fascinated me as I was able to see how different areas of law such as employment, contract, and real estate etc impacted the sale (or the value).

This is what introduced me, but I do not know, my answer seems quite weak, I was wondering if you can guide me into making my answer stronger.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Dear Jaysen,

I hope this message finds you well. I just had small queries and I was wondering if you can perhaps guide me.

Firstly, to the question why commercial law, I have not yet had any work experience (vacation schemes), although I have attended Open days. I am just confused about how to use my open days' experience to answer why this makes me want to do commercial law.

Secondly, from your training question guide, it says to think about what introduced you to the practice of commercial law.

What introduced me to the practice of commercial law was a commercial law workshop set up my commercial law society at my university, in which we were given an M/A case study and the guest (the trainee solicitor) walked us through the due diligence stage. This really fascinated me as I was able to see how different areas of law such as employment, contract, and real estate etc impacted the sale (or the value).

This is what introduced me, but I do not know, my answer seems quite weak, I was wondering if you can guide me into making my answer stronger.

1. What happened during the open days? Practice area talks? Group exercises? Did you talk to lawyers? Open days are designed to introduce you to a commercial law firm, so they should work well as evidence for this question.
    2. The workshop is a good example. To make your answer stronger, ask yourself why seeing the impact of different areas of law interested you. Was it the variety of risks that must be identified during due diligence? How different practice areas must work together in an M&A transaction? How lawyers had the opportunity to look inside a company during their investigation?

I would also avoid telling me XYZ fascinated you. Instead, show me why it fascinated you. When you ask yourself why in these questions, your answers become far more personal and interesting.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Varun S

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.