• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Implication of A-Levels & Uni rank?

L3

Aug 25, 2024
Hi, I could do with some advice...

I achieved BCC (mitigating circumstances - parental death) in my A levels and attend a lower-middle ranked university. I averaged a first class in 2nd year and believe I will graduate with a first. My degree has an integrated placement year & I'm doing an internship with a large national firm in which I was selected out of a competitive 200 applicants. I also have law clinic volunteering experience.

However, being honest, am I likely to struggle when getting a training contract due to my mediocre A levels and university's rank? I'm aiming for firms like DLA Piper, Gowling etc. I suffered parental loss (via traumatic circumstances) & poor mental health as a result during my A levels - and I will add this as mitigating circumstances to my application, however are they really likely to consider me regardless of this?

Thank you for reading & I look forward to your input.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No - you won’t struggle.

You mitigating circumstances are severe and will be taken into account by any firm worthwhile applying to.

Your subsequent grades and ability to secure a competitive placement year are going to be a much stronger indication of your potential too.

L3

Aug 25, 2024
No - you won’t struggle.

You mitigating circumstances are severe and will be taken into account by any firm worthwhile applying to.

Your subsequent grades and ability to secure a competitive placement year are going to be a much stronger indication of your potential too.
Hi,

Thanks a lot for this response - this is great to hear :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.