• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

How to write about retail experience on vac scheme application

LH06

May 24, 2024
Hi everyone,
I am currently writing vac scheme applications and for the work experience section, I'm not sure how to write about my retail experience. I have been working at a grocery store in my home country for 5 years. Im just struggling how to word this into a paragraph. I work in the produce section so I want to focus on things like attention to detail skills for having to monitor freshness etc.
thanks!

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi everyone,
I am currently writing vac scheme applications and for the work experience section, I'm not sure how to write about my retail experience. I have been working at a grocery store in my home country for 5 years. Im just struggling how to word this into a paragraph. I work in the produce section so I want to focus on things like attention to detail skills for having to monitor freshness etc.
thanks!
Hey @LH06, I think the structure you should employ is the usual STAR:
  • Situation: Explain in one or two sentences what was the context in which you started this job. You can consider discussing any steps in an application process, the reasons which prompted you to apply for the role, how that fitted in your schedule with your other responsibilities etc.
  • Tasks: here, I would just lay out the main responsibilities of your role, with a focus on what you had to do individually even if it was part of a team effort.
  • Actions: here, you should explain what particular actions you undertook to make sure you did a good job. If you ever did anything different from what would have normally been the expectation, or went above and beyond your normal responsibilities, or showed initiative, you should focus on that.
  • Results: Explain any type of positive impacts/consequences of your role. You could include examples of customer satisfaction, commendation and praise from supervisors, allocation of higher-level responsibilities, bonuses, and overall increases of business success of the store during the period you were working there.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.