how to effectively communicate your interest in something

Callumw123

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2023
Hi,

I've always felt unsure about how I can effectively communicate my interest in a firm's work or culture. Is it best to have experienced similar work? Is it fine to say I attended an event and then read more about it? Is it fine if i just talk about a story that I have followed which I know matches really well with the work that particular firm does? Can I just explain why I find it appealing, or is that too general?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I've always felt unsure about how I can effectively communicate my interest in a firm's work or culture. Is it best to have experienced similar work? Is it fine to say I attended an event and then read more about it? Is it fine if i just talk about a story that I have followed which I know matches really well with the work that particular firm does? Can I just explain why I find it appealing, or is that too general?

Thank you!
Try to get under the skin of what/why/how it motivates/interests you rather than you just having done similar work or attended their events. For instance:

You attended their event - why did you attend it in the first place? Why did what they say stand out to you as being interesting? How has what you learnt from the event shaped your motivations further

You have done similar work - why was that work interesting to you? How has the worked shaped your motivations for this opportunity you are applying to?

Reactions: Callumw123

Callumw123

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2023
Try to get under the skin of what/why/how it motivates/interests you rather than you just having done similar work or attended their events. For instance:

You attended their event - why did you attend it in the first place? Why did what they say stand out to you as being interesting? How has what you learnt from the event shaped your motivations further

You have done similar work - why was that work interesting to you? How has the worked shaped your motivations for this opportunity you are applying to?
Thank you very much, Jessica! How do you recommend, in the limited word count we have, I weight my answers between describing what event I attended and the work I did versus why it has motivated me to apply to a particular firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you very much, Jessica! How do you recommend, in the limited word count we have, I weight my answers between describing what event I attended and the work I did versus why it has motivated me to apply to a particular firm?
You don’t really need to describe the event you attended, just what you gained from the event. Similarly, your work is likely to be described in a work experience section, so you wouldn’t really need to describe it again, more of using on what it was you enjoyed.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.