How many applications do I make?

Happy Law Student

Jul 20, 2024
Hello everyone,

I have just finished my first year studying law and I want to apply to vac schemes next year. However, I’m not sure how many applications to make.

During first year I only applied to one open day at a US firm and one long term scheme with a MC firm. I was accepted onto both, but I’ve been told that this was a small number of things to apply for.

Next year, would it be better to apply to a large number of vac schemes or to only apply to the schemes that I really want to do?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have just finished my first year studying law and I want to apply to vac schemes next year. However, I’m not sure how many applications to make.

During first year I only applied to one open day at a US firm and one long term scheme with a MC firm. I was accepted onto both, but I’ve been told that this was a small number of things to apply for.

Next year, would it be better to apply to a large number of vac schemes or to only apply to the schemes that I really want to do?
You really have to weigh up what is best for you. For some people that might be only applying for less to less than 5 firms due to their interests and requirements or other commitments. For other they may make over 20 applications as their interests are broad and they have more time to be able to dedicate to the recruitment process.

I tend to say somewhere between 8-12 applications is a healthy amount to aim for - but that’s just my opinion, others will think that’s too many while others will think that is too few!

I would only apply to opportunities you a truly interested in though. It makes little sense in investing time in firms if that’s not what you are aiming for, as it will either be a waste of your time (as you won’t accept) or it builds up evidence of your legal career in areas you are not ultimately aiming for longer term.

Reactions: Happy Law Student

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.