• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

How important are your grades when it comes to a Vac Scheme?

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
Oct 18, 2023
I mostly have a first overall, but when it comes to my overall rank, its not that great. Wanted to know if that makes a difference
Honestly depends on the firm that you want to work at I think. I have never seen an application which has asked for my ranking. A 2:1/first in most modules should do you fine. Irwin Mitchell just ask if you have achieved a 2:1 for their placement but I think they are in the minority.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I mostly have a first overall, but when it comes to my overall rank, it’s not that great. Wanted to know if that makes a difference
It would be useful to understand what you mean by rank here. How come you mostly have a first overall but your rank is not good (do you also mean your rank against other students)?

alohamora

Standard Member
Jun 3, 2024
It would be useful to understand what you mean by rank here. How come you mostly have a first overall but your rank is not good (do you also mean your rank against other students)?
A lot of students from my batch have a first, or a strong upper second. This is mostly because my batch is pretty competitive and also because we were graded very liberally so far. So while I have a first, when stacking my grade percentage against others, I am ranked just slightly above average

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
A lot of students from my batch have a first, or a strong upper second. This is mostly because my batch is pretty competitive and also because we were graded very liberally so far. So while I have a first, when stacking my grade percentage against others, I am ranked just slightly above average
Ranking doesn’t really mean much in applications. Most candidates don’t even know their ranking let alone provide it on their application.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.