Grades dealbreaker for TC and paralegal?

tobywstress

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2022
I have gotten my second-year results back averaging a low 2:1 (2 high 2:1, 2 low 2:1 and 1 2:2). It was better than last year but it was lower than what I predicted from my January assessment. May I know whether a low 2:1 itself is a dealbreaker for city law firms? I have done a fair amount of insight day/schemes but never done a full vac scheme. Also, how does the same low 2:1 affect my chances of getting an entry paralegal/ legal assistant job? I know my chances of TC are low so I am planning to start as a paralegal so there is something else to be considered other than my grades.

P.S. A bonus red flag is a 2:2 contract module in my first year but I do not know how this will change when I take commercial law modules entirely in my final year.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have gotten my second-year results back averaging a low 2:1 (2 high 2:1, 2 low 2:1 and 1 2:2). It was better than last year but it was lower than what I predicted from my January assessment. May I know whether a low 2:1 itself is a dealbreaker for city law firms? I have done a fair amount of insight day/schemes but never done a full vac scheme. Also, how does the same low 2:1 affect my chances of getting an entry paralegal/ legal assistant job? I know my chances of TC are low so I am planning to start as a paralegal so there is something else to be considered other than my grades.

P.S. A bonus red flag is a 2:2 contract module in my first year but I do not know how this will change when I take commercial law modules entirely in my final year.
I don't think this is an issue for paralegal roles or legal assistant positions. By the time you'd be applying for those role, you'd also have your final year results too as well as your overall degree classification, which will be far more of interest to employers looking at paralegal and Legal Assistant role.

There will be some firms (a relatively small number) who may fixate on the contract module or your lower module results, but there will be plenty of more firms who will care far less about these and look at your academics and application more generally more holistically.

tobywstress

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2022
I don't think this is an issue for paralegal roles or legal assistant positions. By the time you'd be applying for those role, you'd also have your final year results too as well as your overall degree classification, which will be far more of interest to employers looking at paralegal and Legal Assistant role.

There will be some firms (a relatively small number) who may fixate on the contract module or your lower module results, but there will be plenty of more firms who will care far less about these and look at your academics and application more generally more holistically.
Thanks for the insight! Do you mind if I ask how low/mid 2:1 will affect one's chances with a certain group of city firms (MC/SC/US/National)? I know my grades are not enough for firms asking for a strong/high 2:1 but I am unsure about the others.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the insight! Do you mind if I ask how low/mid 2:1 will affect one's chances with a certain group of city firms (MC/SC/US/National)? I know my grades are not enough for firms asking for a strong/high 2:1 but I am unsure about the others.
That’s a very broad spectrum of firms. Some will be more difficult (those that state they want a strong or high 2.1 for instance) but there are plenty of firms across those categories who won’t be looking for this and you will be able to apply for.

Although people like to categorise them these ways, it doesn’t mean they have the same approach to recruitment which can often differ significantly within each category.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.