• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Getting a 2:2 in second year and applying to vacation schemes

babylawyer2000

Aug 7, 2024
Hi,

I got my second-year results back and I received a 57% average. I did get some low 2.1s and a first in one of my law modules, however, I did get a 45 in one of my exams and quite a few 2:2s in my other core modules. I do have mitigating circumstances, as the past academic year was quite mentally draining for me and I do have letters from my GP to support me. I am also receiving more help from my university and GP to deal with my mental health issues. Although, I did get a 2.1 in first year, I don't know if I should even bother with this application cycle because of these results, or just wait until I improve my grades even more.

I would also like to ask what firms are lenient with their 2:1/Mitigating circumstances requirements.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would recommend focusing on your own health and getting your grades up before applying. Firms can consider your extentuating circumstances, but you will be in a much stronger position once your grades are stronger and then can see the dip in performance aligns with your extenuating circumstances.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.