• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

End of Vac Scheme TC Interview Question

lawstudent18

Mar 19, 2024
I have a specific question regarding my TC interview at the end of an upcoming VS.

I had a vac scheme last year and was not offered a TC. I have heard that in my upcoming vac scheme that they will want to hear how I have developed since my last vac scheme and why I am ready for a TC now. Is it enough to say that I had not taken the time to research what types of firms, law and training I wanted and I realised that the last firm was not right to me? Or should I focus on specific skills that I have developed? And if so, what types of skills should I address that doesn't make me look bad but highlight how I have grown? I have developed my commercial awareness but I don't know if that is enougb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a specific question regarding my TC interview at the end of an upcoming VS.

I had a vac scheme last year and was not offered a TC. I have heard that in my upcoming vac scheme that they will want to hear how I have developed since my last vac scheme and why I am ready for a TC now. Is it enough to say that I had not taken the time to research what types of firms, law and training I wanted and I realised that the last firm was not right to me? Or should I focus on specific skills that I have developed? And if so, what types of skills should I address that doesn't make me look bad but highlight how I have grown? I have developed my commercial awareness but I don't know if that is enougb
I would avoid the negative context of not doing something - even if that was some time ago and things have changed since then.

Instead frame it in a positive way - for instance you can phrase it in a similar way to - “I’ve subsequently had the opportunity to learn more about a greater range of firms, and through that I have been able to….:”

In terms of skills you think you have developed - choose the skills you truly believe have been developed since and that you can evidence through your experiences will have grown.

Be mindful, commercial awareness is not a skill as such, it’s knowledge. But even if you did focus on that, try to be more specific - what types of commercial issues/topics have you learnt more about and why is this particularly relevant to the TC opportunity.

lawstudent18

Mar 19, 2024
I would avoid the negative context of not doing something - even if that was some time ago and things have changed since then.

Instead frame it in a positive way - for instance you can phrase it in a similar way to - “I’ve subsequently had the opportunity to learn more about a greater range of firms, and through that I have been able to….:”

In terms of skills you think you have developed - choose the skills you truly believe have been developed since and that you can evidence through your experiences will have grown.

Be mindful, commercial awareness is not a skill as such, it’s knowledge. But even if you did focus on that, try to be more specific - what types of commercial issues/topics have you learnt more about and why is this particularly relevant to the TC opportunity.
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your insight. I wanted to follow up with a couple of questions:

- I was thinking of posing my response in the following way: "At the time I did not know what kind of law firm I wanted to work at (ex. what training style, American vs UK, etc.) and I found myself in a situation where I realised I did not like the aforementioned setup of the training programme etc and I think this was obvious. I have since spent the last year exploring my interests in the commercial law field, learning about firms and training styles and what I want from a firm, and I am confident that the firm I am at is a better option for me." Is this a suitable response that has shown that I have grown and am prepared for a TC?

- If I need to discuss more on the skills side, one thing I think I have developed a lot is being able to manage my time and know my limits. At my previous vac scheme, I took on way too much work, was barely sleeping and working almost all hours of the day to catch up, I was very overwhelmed and it showed. However, I think this is quite negative. Even if I can show I have developed a sense of my limits etc. would this be a good example?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Thank you for your insight. I wanted to follow up with a couple of questions:

- I was thinking of posing my response in the following way: "At the time I did not know what kind of law firm I wanted to work at (ex. what training style, American vs UK, etc.) and I found myself in a situation where I realised I did not like the aforementioned setup of the training programme etc and I think this was obvious. I have since spent the last year exploring my interests in the commercial law field, learning about firms and training styles and what I want from a firm, and I am confident that the firm I am at is a better option for me." Is this a suitable response that has shown that I have grown and am prepared for a TC?

- If I need to discuss more on the skills side, one thing I think I have developed a lot is being able to manage my time and know my limits. At my previous vac scheme, I took on way too much work, was barely sleeping and working almost all hours of the day to catch up, I was very overwhelmed and it showed. However, I think this is quite negative. Even if I can show I have developed a sense of my limits etc. would this be a good example?

Thank you!
I would still recommend avoiding the negative language here.

"I did not know" and "I did not like" are pretty direct ways of showing negativity.

You are saying exactly the same point but framing it in a more positive way if instead you said something like:
The vacation scheme with PREVIOUS LAW FIRM was a great opportunity for me to learn more about the differences in law firms, whether it be their culture or training style. Through completing the scheme, I realised I would be more suited to the training style that has X, Y and Z elements to it, which are often seen in different environments to the likes of PREVIOUS LAW FIRM, such as firms like yours. I have since spent the last year exploring my interests in commercial law (be more specific here though with how you have done this as it is quite generic), learning about firms and training styles and what I want from a firm, and I am confident that the firm I am at is a better option for me."

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Thank you!

The negativity is because you are focusing on the negative elements rather than the positive of the learning. Instead, frame it in a way that is similar to the following (I am not saying the wording/phrasing is correct here, it is just an example of how to frame something positively).

The vacation scheme gave me an opportunity to build on my previous time management skills developed through my commitments to X, Y and Z. In particular, I learnt how it is important to be more flexible and adaptable to changing work pressures, which often happened at short notice during the scheme (can always add a brief reference to an example of how that happened here). I also learnt about the importance of getting the balance right between doing work to high standards whilst not becoming overwhelmed with too many conflicting responsibilities. I have learnt the importance of communication with colleagues at these times, and how that can help me to either reprioritise work or get additional support.

If you can then evidence how you have applied the learning in the vacation scheme with this firm, that will be even more convincing.

lawstudent18

Mar 19, 2024
The negativity is because you are focusing on the negative elements rather than the positive of the learning. Instead, frame it in a way that is similar to the following (I am not saying the wording/phrasing is correct here, it is just an example of how to frame something positively).

The vacation scheme gave me an opportunity to build on my previous time management skills developed through my commitments to X, Y and Z. In particular, I learnt how it is important to be more flexible and adaptable to changing work pressures, which often happened at short notice during the scheme (can always add a brief reference to an example of how that happened here). I also learnt about the importance of getting the balance right between doing work to high standards whilst not becoming overwhelmed with too many conflicting responsibilities. I have learnt the importance of communication with colleagues at these times, and how that can help me to either reprioritise work or get additional support.

If you can then evidence how you have applied the learning in the vacation scheme with this firm, that will be even more convincing.
Thank you so much for your help with this, I really appreciate it and feel much more confident going into my interview!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.