• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Converting VS to a TC as a non-law student?

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
Hey everyone,

This is so so premature but is more of a curiosity question than anything, as it's something that only just occurred to me. I'm going into my second year of non-law and looking to apply to some vacation schemes in the next few months.

I know for many/most vacation schemes there is the opportunity to convert to a TC at the end of the scheme, and that plenty of firms recruit mainly/only from their vacation scheme. However I also know that law firms usually recruit 2 years in advance, which is why most firms only open vacation schemes to final year non-law students.

My question is for the small number of firms that do offer vacation schemes to penultimate year non-law, is it possible to get a TC offer 3 years in advance, or would you just be expected to do a direct TC application the following year even if you were successful on the scheme?

Thanks

LawyerInMaking

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 20, 2023
If you are successful in converting your VS to TC as a non-law in the penultimate year (assuming they let you do the scheme), you are all set 3 years in advance! There is no need to apply for TC in the final year. Your 3 years will be (after the penultimate year) as 1) one final year , 2) one year for GDL study + exams, and 3) one year for SQE1 + 2 study & exams. Most big firms will sponsor 2 & 3 and also pay maintenance grant .

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone,

This is so so premature but is more of a curiosity question than anything, as it's something that only just occurred to me. I'm going into my second year of non-law and looking to apply to some vacation schemes in the next few months.

I know for many/most vacation schemes there is the opportunity to convert to a TC at the end of the scheme, and that plenty of firms recruit mainly/only from their vacation scheme. However I also know that law firms usually recruit 2 years in advance, which is why most firms only open vacation schemes to final year non-law students.

My question is for the small number of firms that do offer vacation schemes to penultimate year non-law, is it possible to get a TC offer 3 years in advance, or would you just be expected to do a direct TC application the following year even if you were successful on the scheme?

Thanks
You’d most likely get a deferred offer. However some firms don’t require you do to a year long GDL, and so it is possible in those cases to start earlier and not need two years post graduation to complete the SQE.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.