Compliance to Law

oost1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
May 22, 2022
Been working in FS compliance ever since graduating last year (consulting role).

I'm not enjoying it for a number of reasons, and was thinking how beneficial for TC prospects it would be if I were to pivot to a more “legal” role (think paralegal/in-house legal analyst). My current concern is primarily the "why law" aspect given my work experience.

I appreciate the level of responsibility I get currently, and doubt I could get that elsewhere, but I’m just not where I want to be at the moment. In terms of salary for Central London too, I don't think I would be getting the same for a paralegal role.

Any insights/advice?

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hi @oost1234,

I am sorry to hear you are not enjoying your current role, but how exciting to be considering a career change! They do say we have at least three different career paths in us all.

Presenting non-law work experience in a way that bolsters the "why law" question can appear difficult - indeed, I too remember struggling with this same issue. However, there are several reasons you shouldn't feel pressured into pivoting towards a more "legal" role if you are currently satisfied with your current role. In fact, I would say it can be used to your advantage.
  1. Overlapping skill sets: It may appear as though you are putting a square peg in a round hole when using non-legal roles as a way to bolster the "why law" question, but your current role will be relevant to your application. I have always found that graduate recruitment primarily looks primarily at your skillset (to see whether it aligns with the skills involved in being a trainee solicitor), rather than at work experience itself. I am not well-versed in the skills needed in FS compliance, however given what you have indicated you have likely developed the skills of teamwork, leadership, independent learning/work etc. The challenge is not finding a legal role to demonstrate your enthusiasm for commercial law, that can be done in other ways. Being able to detail your journey as to why your skillset would better suit the role of a trainee solicitor and how your current role has made you realise your interests lie away from FS compliance is the challenge you face and this is definitely not insurmountable.
  2. Not many people actually have legal work experience: A lot of people who apply for TCs have no legal work experience. A number of applicants may have obtained work experience from connections, but obtaining a TC is and always should be a meritocratic process and GR know that. Of course, you will have some explaining to do as to why you chose FS compliance over the legal world at first, but this can be used to your advantage. The fact you have decided your current career is not for you means you have a more multi-layered journey than many applicants and ensures your "why law" question is more genuine and convincing given that it took you a little bit of extra time.
If your current role is serving you well at the moment - in terms of salary particularly - I would personally say that is a good enough reason to stay for the time being. As long as you make sure to attend open days and insights days at law firms and open your mind to the commercial world via the news or reading (or TCLA!), the paralegal role is not essential and merely only supplemental.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.