• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Commercial Issue Application Question

alexandramonica

Sep 9, 2024
For the Sidley Austin VS application, I am asked to discuss a current commercial issue that interests me. I'm considering discussing a recent judgment, such as the DOJ v. Google antitrust case. I would touch upon two specific aspects of the case and then briefly discuss the potential future impact on firms like Sidley Austin (and their clients), which have significant antitrust practices in both Europe and the U.S. However, I'm concerned that my analysis of this topic might be too evident or basic, and I'm wondering whether I should opt for a more 'unique' topic. Any advice would be appreciated!

Andrei Radu

Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
For the Sidley Austin VS application, I am asked to discuss a current commercial issue that interests me. I'm considering discussing a recent judgment, such as the DOJ v. Google antitrust case. I would touch upon two specific aspects of the case and then briefly discuss the potential future impact on firms like Sidley Austin (and their clients), which have significant antitrust practices in both Europe and the U.S. However, I'm concerned that my analysis of this topic might be too evident or basic, and I'm wondering whether I should opt for a more 'unique' topic. Any advice would be appreciated!
Hi Alexandra! I do not think you need to find a more unique topic than this. In my successful applications and interviews last year, for basically every commercial news question I discussed the Inflation-High Interest Rates story, and I never received negative feedback for it - despite the fact that this was probably the least 'unique' story I could be talking about. I think what matters more for this type of question is not the news story you choose itself, but rather how you go about discussing it. Showing a real depth of understanding and a structured multi-faceted analysis of a big news story will be more impressive than a vague description of a more niche topic.

I don't think choosing the DOJ v Google case could ever be held against you - firstly, it is a significant recent development in a longer shift towards stronger antitrust enforcement which is particularly ripe from a dual legal and commercial analysis. Secondly, it will still be less commonly seen in applications when compared to topics like inflation and the economy, impact of recent and upcoming elections, and so on.

That being said, I do think it's good to always strive for additional specificity and to find ways to differentiate your answer from other applicants. One thing I would suggest here is to take some time to research and understand Sidley Austin's specific antitrust practice and client base. Are any big name clients particularly likely to be affected by the case? Is Sidley's antitrust practice especially well-placed to advise clients and to win mandates following this development? Does the firm have significant prior expertise with this type of case? If so, mentioning any of these details in your analysis will definitely help set you apart.

alexandramonica

Sep 9, 2024
Hi Alexandra! I do not think you need to find a more unique topic than this. In my successful applications and interviews last year, for basically every commercial news question I discussed the Inflation-High Interest Rates story, and I never received negative feedback for it - despite the fact that this was probably the least 'unique' story I could be talking about. I think what matters more for this type of question is not the news story you choose itself, but rather how you go about discussing it. Showing a real depth of understanding and a structured multi-faceted analysis of a big news story will be more impressive than a vague description of a more niche topic.

I don't think choosing the DOJ v Google case could ever be held against you - firstly, it is a significant recent development in a longer shift towards stronger antitrust enforcement which is particularly ripe from a dual legal and commercial analysis. Secondly, it will still be less commonly seen in applications when compared to topics like inflation and the economy, impact of recent and upcoming elections, and so on.

That being said, I do think it's good to always strive for additional specificity and to find ways to differentiate your answer from other applicants. One thing I would suggest here is to take some time to research and understand Sidley Austin's specific antitrust practice and client base. Are any big name clients particularly likely to be affected by the case? Is Sidley's antitrust practice especially well-placed to advise clients and to win mandates following this development? Does the firm have significant prior expertise with this type of case? If so, mentioning any of these details in your analysis will definitely help set you apart.
Hi Andrei!

Thanks so much, this was really helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.