Central Banking to Law

BV212002

Oct 9, 2024
Hello! I’m seeking advice on leveraging my experience at the Bank of England for applying to training contracts. I graduated with a law degree and have previous experience working with Clyde & Co and Baker McKenzie through work shadowing. I also completed a vacation scheme at DLA Piper, where I was offered a TC but turned it down as I had already accepted the role at the BoE in banking supervision.

How can I effectively highlight my BoE experience in my TC applications/target any specific law firms? Additionally, if I’m considering alternative paths to enter the legal field outside of TCs, what options should I explore?

Thank you!

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hey @BV212002 , thank you so much for your questions! It’s great you’ve come here for career tips on switching from banking to law. Welcome to TCLA!

The switch wouldn’t be particularly difficult in your case, as you already seem to have a solid foundation of the law firm application process, having completed a vacation scheme and other work experience.

The addition of the BoE in your CV is also great. It gives you the opportunity to leverage your applications towards firms that are more transactional focused (Kirkland, Latham, Paul, Weiss, etc). Paul, Weis is actually live on our forum now, so feel free to drop them a couple of questions too!

In terms of alternative paths to enter the legal field outside TCs, you could consider working as a paralegal for a while. This would help you build a lot of soft skills prior to starting a TC, which law firms really value - especially if you paralegal at a major law firm.

ellaevans

Oct 7, 2024
Hi,

To effectively highlight your experience at the Bank of England in training contract (TC) applications, emphasize how your work in banking supervision has given you a strong understanding of financial regulation, risk management, and the regulatory landscape- skills highly relevant to corporate, banking, and finance law. Draw connections between your role at BoE and the legal challenges faced by law firms in these areas. Target firms with strong financial services, banking, or regulatory practices (e.g., Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance), as your background will align well with their work.

If considering alternative legal paths outside of TCs, explore roles such as paralegal positions, in-house legal teams within financial institutions, or completing the Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE) route. This could offer more flexibility while leveraging your banking experience.

Thanks

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.