Rebeccal

Jun 7, 2024
This is my first post on here. I've read through some threads on here and I've been taken back by how supportive this forum is.

A brief history of me, I am 29 years old and currently a Head of subject at a secondary school. Before teaching, I did a years research after achieving a first class Chemistry degree from RG uni.

I enjoy teaching but I'm looking for a change. I've spent a while looking into different options and law has really stuck out for me. In particular, anything that can use my science background would be a big plus (like patent law).

I've begun the process and applied for 2 training contracts that have deadlines soon/just passed.
One has got back to me saying I've progressed to the graduate partner recruitment panel - I'm not sure if that is a standard thing that happens after they've ensured I have the correct grades.

I am very unsure if my lack of law knowledge will hold me back. Any advice on where I could start learning some "basic" law knowledge would be great. If by some miracle I get invited to assessment centres, I would feel massively under prepared currently.

In the applications I've done so far, in some of the questions they ask like "talk about a time in your life that's helped define who you are", I've spoken a lot about my childhood and I don't know if that is suitable. In summary, I spent a lot of my childhood in and out of the care system, homeless and was formally abandoned at 14. Despite this, I threw myself into my education and made it to University etc etc....
For me, my background defines me and is a huge part of who I am as well as highlights my resilience and self-motivation. But is this too unprofessional to mention in these application questions?

I aim to update this thread with news on this journey!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Rebeccal

Welcome to the forums - it’s great to have you with us.

Outside of TCLA’s premium content, you can find out more about law through events, particularly webinars if you are working full time. Lots of firms and key marketing suppliers run them, so do keep an eye out for them.

Alternatively, you may want to consider doing 1-2 Forage virtual work experience programmes to give you more of a feel for the type of work and responsibilities lawyers have.

I’d also consider using LinkedIn and following law firms - it can be useful seeing the types of news stories/developments law firms put out and this can help your general commercial awareness too.

You can definitely talk about your experiences, even if they are from childhood, and I don’t think it’s an issue for the type of questions you have mentioned. Just ensure there is some balance and that other questions show more recent experiences and achievements so it is a reflection of who you are now, not just one key factor that has brought you to where you are now.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Many thanks

Jess

Reactions: Rebeccal

Sharon Wu

Valued Member
Oct 27, 2023
This is my first post on here. I've read through some threads on here and I've been taken back by how supportive this forum is.

A brief history of me, I am 29 years old and currently a Head of subject at a secondary school. Before teaching, I did a years research after achieving a first class Chemistry degree from RG uni.

I enjoy teaching but I'm looking for a change. I've spent a while looking into different options and law has really stuck out for me. In particular, anything that can use my science background would be a big plus (like patent law).

I've begun the process and applied for 2 training contracts that have deadlines soon/just passed.
One has got back to me saying I've progressed to the graduate partner recruitment panel - I'm not sure if that is a standard thing that happens after they've ensured I have the correct grades.

I am very unsure if my lack of law knowledge will hold me back. Any advice on where I could start learning some "basic" law knowledge would be great. If by some miracle I get invited to assessment centres, I would feel massively under prepared currently.

In the applications I've done so far, in some of the questions they ask like "talk about a time in your life that's helped define who you are", I've spoken a lot about my childhood and I don't know if that is suitable. In summary, I spent a lot of my childhood in and out of the care system, homeless and was formally abandoned at 14. Despite this, I threw myself into my education and made it to University etc etc....
For me, my background defines me and is a huge part of who I am as well as highlights my resilience and self-motivation. But is this too unprofessional to mention in these application questions?

I aim to update this thread with news on this journey!
I've just read your post. amazing achievement.
Keep us updated.
Wishing you the best.

Reactions: Rebeccal

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.