• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

Baker Mckenzie + Barbri/PGDL?

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
Hey all,

I don't actually have an offer, and I am yet to apply for any TCs but I was doing a bit of firm research and Baker Mckenzie is one I'm quite interested in. I've seen that they no longer fund the PGDL and instead fund the SQE prep course with Barbri. In addition it seems Barbri offer a 6 week online "legal foundations course" with non-law grads receiving an extra £1000 bursary over law students I assume to compensate for this?

Am I right in assuming that this means non-law students not required to do the PGDL at Baker Mckenzie? How would this impact someone later in their career, being a qualified solicitor without a qualifying law degree or PGDL? Is the legal foundations course and an sqe prep course enough preparation to actually sit the SQE? Is this all accomplished in one year as opposed to the 2, that many non-law students do?

As a non-law student it's an interesting idea, and would allow us to get working and started with our career sooner, but I can't help feel I'd be woefully underprepared for the exams.

Has anybody had any experience with this route or with Baker Mckenzie?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Not having the GDL will not impact your career - it’s is not a requirement for the career and it has only been a regulatory hurdle to obtain rather than anything firms value.

You may want to reach out to future or current trainees at Bakers who have done this route to get their thoughts. I know it is very different to a lot of other firms who feel the GDL will be a better foundation for passing the SQE, but I don’t know if Bakers or BARBRI can provide any insight into how their pass rates are going for non lawyers who take this course.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.