Bad A-level grades

ariana24

Jul 25, 2024
Hi, in 2023 I achieved CCC in my A-levels and decided to take a gap year to work and figure things out on what to do next as I knew that with my grades it would be difficult to find a decent university that would let me onto the LLB course. During my gap year I did apply to universities and firmed to study at University of Surrey (Law with foundation year). However, the more I research about law firms, the more concerned I am becoming of the fact that my poor a-level grades will prevent me from getting a training contract. Recently, I've been wondering if I should take another year out and resit my A-Level, as the foundation year at university will be a level 3 qualification anyways. However, I am aware of the fact that there is no certainty that I will achieve my desired grades and the grades that law firms want (ABB), so I am a little confused on what to do, especially as some individuals say that getting a good grade at LLB and relevant work experience etc will be more valued than my a level grades, but a person who recruits trainees had told me that in most cases law firms cut people with poor a-level grades. Any advice on what would be the best next step for me will be greatly appreciated.

wqueens8

Standard Member
Jun 28, 2024
I'm far from an expert, but from what I've read I'm not sure resitting A-levels will do much for you, on their own.

When you apply for schemes/training contracts, you will still have to declare your original results too. They will know that you have resat. Even if you came out with 3A*s, while impressive, it will always be obvious that it took 3 years to accomplish, making it less impressive than first attempts. I say this as someone who also took 3 years to do a-levels. There is something to be said for showing improvement and growth, that will appeal to many firms. However this can equally be shown by achieving high grades at uni, with relevant work experience.

I would say, if you plan to go to a better uni with your better grades, that may be a reason to. There's no reason you can't get into top firms from Surrey, but if you could resit, get As, and get into top unis. That might help you.

Ultimately completely up to you. It must be noted, a lot of firms have removed their a-level requirements, and now focus on degree results and work experience mainly. This is especially true if you have mitigating circumstances. You absolutely can pursue a career in law with your grades. If you wish to resit, aim for a higher ranked uni, and go from there. That is also a reasonable route to take.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm far from an expert, but from what I've read I'm not sure resitting A-levels will do much for you, on their own.

When you apply for schemes/training contracts, you will still have to declare your original results too. They will know that you have resat. Even if you came out with 3A*s, while impressive, it will always be obvious that it took 3 years to accomplish, making it less impressive than first attempts. I say this as someone who also took 3 years to do a-levels. There is something to be said for showing improvement and growth, that will appeal to many firms. However this can equally be shown by achieving high grades at uni, with relevant work experience.

I would say, if you plan to go to a better uni with your better grades, that may be a reason to. There's no reason you can't get into top firms from Surrey, but if you could resit, get As, and get into top unis. That might help you.

Ultimately completely up to you. It must be noted, a lot of firms have removed their a-level requirements, and now focus on degree results and work experience mainly. This is especially true if you have mitigating circumstances. You absolutely can pursue a career in law with your grades. If you wish to resit, aim for a higher ranked uni, and go from there. That is also a reasonable route to take.
This is spot on advice from someone who is supposedly an expert (although I am never quite sure I am!).

Reactions: ariana24

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.