Applying for VC/TC

LH06

May 24, 2024
Hi everyone,
I am starting my second year of an LLB, set to graduate in 2026. I am getting confused on whether I need to be applying for vacation schemes now or training contracts. I have a list of the firms I want to apply to for their vacation schemes, which applications for those mostly open in September or early October. However I am seeing that some firms (Slaughter and May and Hogan Lovells) have applications for their 2027 training contract closing the end of this month.

Am I too late?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,
I am starting my second year of an LLB, set to graduate in 2026. I am getting confused on whether I need to be applying for vacation schemes now or training contracts. I have a list of the firms I want to apply to for their vacation schemes, which applications for those mostly open in September or early October. However I am seeing that some firms (Slaughter and May and Hogan Lovells) have applications for their 2027 training contract closing the end of this month.

Am I too late?
Generally you will be applying for vacation schemes between August 2024 and February 2025, and then training contracts in May-August 2025.

The 2027 training contract opportunities are likely to be February or March 2027 start dates, which is likely not enough time for you to complete your SQE studies before starting a TC (as you'd only be able to sit SQE1 in January 2027 at the earliest).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.