Applying for LLMs and deferring a training contract

krissythelawstudent

Jul 26, 2024
Hi there! I have secured a training contract with a firm which starts in Autumn 2025. However, I am now considering applying for an LLM (particularly, the Oxford BCL/Cambridge LLM). Although my grades seem to be good enough for these programmes, of course I may not get in. So, my question is, how much notice do I need to give my firm to defer my training contract? I do not want to defer my TC if I do not get into either of the two Masters courses. But I equally do not want to be rude asking my firm for deferral just a couple of months before my training contract starts (the BCL/LLM decisions come out sometime in March 2025). I know that ultimately it is up to the firm whether or not they will agree to the deferral.

I am also thinking of doing a Masters following the completion of my training contract, but I do not know how realistic that would be in practice.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Graduate recruitment teams are quite used to getting these requests in March/April each year as Masters courses start to give offers out.

If you have multiple course options (you are applying to a high number of courses) you may want to ask upfront but expect to potentially have time out if you didn’t secure one of those courses.

There is a greater risk the later it is the more difficult it is for them to agree to the deferral.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.