• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Apply to for a TC or Vac Scheme?

ren1110

Standard Member
Dec 28, 2022
TC or Vac Scheme?

I graduated in 2023 with a law degree and this year I passed both SQE1&2. I do not have previous vac scheme experience but have done a lot of pro bono and have other work experience.

I am unsure whether to apply directly to TC or vac scheme as I do not want to miss out on TC applications by applying to vac schemes first.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
TC or Vac Scheme?

I graduated in 2023 with a law degree and this year I passed both SQE1&2. I do not have previous vac scheme experience but have done a lot of pro bono and have other work experience.

I am unsure whether to apply directly to TC or vac scheme as I do not want to miss out on TC applications by applying to vac schemes first.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I suspect it should be a mixture of both.

Where you can, apply to vacation schemes. It’s a good opportunity to build up your commercial work experience and find out if the firm is right for you too. There will also be some firms that recruit heavily or exclusively from vacation schemes.

But there will be some firms where you are not eligible for the vacation scheme or the scheme dates won’t work for you, and in those instances, apply for direct TCs.

Reactions: ren1110

ren1110

Standard Member
Dec 28, 2022
I suspect it should be a mixture of both.

Where you can, apply to vacation schemes. It’s a good opportunity to build up your commercial work experience and find out if the firm is right for you too. There will also be some firms that recruit heavily or exclusively from vacation schemes.

But there will be some firms where you are not eligible for the vacation scheme or the scheme dates won’t work for you, and in those instances, apply for direct TCs.

Thank you so much for your help! Really helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.