• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

Application form dilemma

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
Hiya,

So I’m looking over my previous application for a law firm, which I’m aiming to apply to again this year.

The questions is why do you want to train at this firm? I’ve geninuly got my reasons for choosing to train at the firm - global strategy, key clients etc.

The issue is that it’s a US law firm with a huge reputation for its banking & finance expertise in the UK. Now I acknowledge this, but I haven’t referenced it as one of my reasons for choosing to train there - do u think it would be wise not to mention this.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: aaron22

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    It's a good question.

I would mention your interest in a practice area if it accounts for a clear majority of the firm's work -- such that it wouldn't make sense to apply if you weren't interested in that practice area. For most firms, however, that won't apply. And I don't get the sense from what you've said that that is the case here.

You also said you acknowledge the work this firm does in banking & finance, so I think you've covered your bases there.

Reactions: Lawgirlxo

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.