• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Anxious international girlie applies for training contracts and vac schemes

sapphireoreos

Standard Member
Feb 20, 2023
Hey! I've been lurking for a few months so I thought I'd start my own thread here. I know it's fairly early days for the application cycle, but I figured I could make this and update it over the year as a little diary to record the process in real time/to keep myself accountable on this journey. This is my second application cycle, and as an international student, I'm really anxious about not getting a TC by the end of the year because it basically means I get kicked out of the country otherwise. With final year, working part time, being in the executive committees for 3+ societies and working as a brand ambassador, I know that I'm going to be in the trenches over the next year or so, but I guess it's worth it if I get a TC at the end of it ...?

Background
  • I'm a final year non-law (History & International Relations) international student studying at a Top 5-10 uni (not RG though, you may be able to guess it based on that haha). I did all my pre-university education outside of the UK
  • I got A*A*A* in my A Levels and am currently on track for a strong first (fingers crossed it stays that way, if I convert my grades to percentages I think I'm on at 84%?)
  • In terms of my legal experience, I have completed two legal internships (one at a small high-street style family law firm, another at a bigger commercial litigation firm) and am about to complete my third internship at an U.S. firm in investment funds (all of these internships have been in my home country)
  • My non-legal experience includes working as a senior student ambassador, a brand ambassador for a law-adjacent company, am a student rep for my university's union (I don't want to specify for anonymity's sake) and editing for two student journals
  • I applied last cycle to about 5-6 firms for vacation schemes/summer internships in both the UK and my home country (along with some other non-law jobs, all of which I did not get). In hindsight, my applications were all sub-par, but by some miracle of god I got past the application stage for Mishcon de Reya and Fragomen. Didn't get past the video interview stage for either firm, but was lucky enough to land an internship at an U.S. firm in my home country in April
Criteria in firms / tentative firm list
Working the aforementioned three legal internships has made me realise that I'm interested in both private client and commercial law, so I'm planning on applying to firms that have a wide variety of practice areas in both private client (ideally has family and immigration practice areas) and commercial fields. I'm also very interested in firms with a smaller trainee intake that really gives trainees early responsibility. I'm interested in a mix of international and national firms. If the firm is international, I'd like the firm to have an office in my home country. My firm list was initially quite private client focussed, but having enjoyed my investment funds internship, I need to sit down and reevaluate my list.

Here's my tentative firm list so far. Don't know whether I'll apply to all of them, but I'll put an asterisk next to the ones I definitely will apply to:
  • Mishcon de Reya*
  • Charles Russell Speechlys*
  • Withers*
  • Farrer and Co*
  • Burges Salmon
  • Clyde & Co (paralegal and TC)
  • Fieldfisher
  • Forsters
  • Macfarlanes*
  • Penningtons Manches Cooper*
  • Mills & Reeve*
  • Wedlake Bell
  • Dechert
  • Freshfields
  • Willkie Farr & Gallagher
  • Harbottle & Lewis
  • Irwin Mitchell
Next steps:
I finish my internship tomorrow, and I'll have three weeks or so before I go back for uni. I want to do the following in this time:
  • Firm research
  • Start thinking about my answers for firm questions (especially the big ones like why commercial law, why firm, why you etc.)
  • Writing out my work experience sections
  • Start drafting a cover letter
  • Getting my commercial awareness up through learning about M&A, PE and keeping up with the news
  • Start practicing Watson Glazers/SJTs
Honestly this is a pretty ambitious list (especially considering I've got other commitments to manage and I want to spend time with my family before I go back to the UK), so the point is to just get going on these things before the academic year starts. I'll keep you all updated over the year!

(I realise that is basically an essay, I’m just a yapper at heart to be honest)

Last edited:

sapphireoreos

Standard Member
Feb 20, 2023
Update!

I applied to Hogan Lovell's Non-Russell Group Mentoring Scheme in collaboration with Aspiring Solicitors at the 11th hour, and got shortlisted for the next stage (the Watson Glazer test). Personally I'm a little confused at why a Watson Glazer test was necessary, but I completed it nonetheless. It was good practice for the upcoming cycle. I don't think I did very well on it due to a lack of practice, but I suppose we'll see.

Aside from that, I finished my internship, which leaves me one month of summer before going back to uni. I've also been researching law firms in preparation for the upcoming cycle, updated my CV and have been working on writing out my work experience sections for those longer free text boxes.

Purplelawyer

Aug 21, 2024
Hey! I think this a great idea and I wish you all the best. I'm in a similar situation so I can understand the struggle. I am curious, but have considered applying for a graduate visa? I hope you secure a TC by the end of this year but if you don't you are eligible for the graduate visa route and can stay for up to two years in the UK to find a job. So you don't necessarily get kicked out of the country after this year.

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
Hey! I've been lurking for a few months so I thought I'd start my own thread here. I know it's fairly early days for the application cycle, but I figured I could make this and update it over the year as a little diary to record the process in real time/to keep myself accountable on this journey. This is my second application cycle, and as an international student, I'm really anxious about not getting a TC by the end of the year because it basically means I get kicked out of the country otherwise. With final year, working part time, being in the executive committees for 3+ societies and working as a brand ambassador, I know that I'm going to be in the trenches over the next year or so, but I guess it's worth it if I get a TC at the end of it ...?

Background
  • I'm a final year non-law (History & International Relations) international student studying at a Top 5-10 uni (not RG though, you may be able to guess it based on that haha). I did all my pre-university education outside of the UK
  • I got A*A*A* in my A Levels and am currently on track for a strong first (fingers crossed it stays that way, if I convert my grades to percentages I think I'm on at 84%?)
  • In terms of my legal experience, I have completed two legal internships (one at a small high-street style family law firm, another at a bigger commercial litigation firm) and am about to complete my third internship at an U.S. firm in investment funds (all of these internships have been in my home country)
  • My non-legal experience includes working as a senior student ambassador, a brand ambassador for a law-adjacent company, am a student rep for my university's union (I don't want to specify for anonymity's sake) and editing for two student journals
  • I applied last cycle to about 5-6 firms for vacation schemes/summer internships in both the UK and my home country (along with some other non-law jobs, all of which I did not get). In hindsight, my applications were all sub-par, but by some miracle of god I got past the application stage for Mishcon de Reya and Fragomen. Didn't get past the video interview stage for either firm, but was lucky enough to land an internship at an U.S. firm in my home country in April
Working the aforementioned three legal internships has made me realise that I'm interested in both private client and commercial law, so I'm planning on applying to firms that have a wide variety of practice areas in both private client (ideally has family and immigration practice areas) and commercial fields. I'm also very interested in firms with a smaller trainee intake that really gives trainees early responsibility. I'm interested in a mix of international and national firms. If the firm is international, I'd like the firm to have an office in my home country. My firm list was initially quite private client focussed, but having enjoyed my investment funds internship, I need to sit down and reevaluate my list.

Here's my tentative firm list so far. Don't know whether I'll apply to all of them, but I'll put an asterisk next to the ones I definitely will apply to:
  • Mishcon de Reya*
  • Withers*
  • Farrer and Co*
  • Burges Salmon
  • Fieldfisher
  • Forsters
  • Macfarlanes*
  • Mills & Reeve*
  • Wedlake Bell
  • Dechert
  • Freshfields
  • Harbottle & Lewis
  • Irwin Mitchell
Next steps:
I finish my internship tomorrow, and I'll have three weeks or so before I go back for uni. I want to do the following in this time:
  • Firm research
  • Start thinking about my answers for firm questions (especially the big ones like why commercial law, why firm, why you etc.)
  • Getting my commercial awareness up through learning about M&A, PE and keeping up with the news
Honestly this is a pretty ambitious list (especially considering I've got other commitments to manage and I want to spend time with my family before I go back to the UK), so the point is to just get going on these things before the academic year starts. I'll keep you all updated over the year!

Hi!

I'm an international graduate. Studied IR too before the GDL/LPC. I recently received a TC and can very much relate to your visa expiring situation. I would be happy to provide some guidance on this! I think internationals have to have a slightly different strategy to everyone else. Happy to discuss mine with you if you want!

Good luck!

sapphireoreos

Standard Member
Feb 20, 2023
Hey! I think this a great idea and I wish you all the best. I'm in a similar situation so I can understand the struggle. I am curious, but have considered applying for a graduate visa? I hope you secure a TC by the end of this year but if you don't you are eligible for the graduate visa route and can stay for up to two years in the UK to find a job. So you don't necessarily get kicked out of the country after this year.
Thanks so much for that! I'm aware of the graduate visa route and I may end up applying for it at the end of the year, depending on how applications go. My Plan B is to self-fund the PGDL, but that's dependent on a lot of personal circumstances.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021

Background

• Mishcon de Reya*
  • Withers*
  • Farrer and Co*
  • Burges Salmon
  • Fieldfisher
  • Forsters
  • Macfarlanes*
  • Mills & Reeve*
  • Wedlake Bell
  • Dechert
  • Freshfields
  • Harbottle & Lewis
  • Irwin Mitchell
Next steps:
  • Firm research

Hi @sapphireoreos I hope you're well - I just read your post and it sounds like you have a good solid plan. I just wanted to draw to your attention that we don't have a private client practice (as you've listed above) in our London office. I didn't want you to spend time on an application for a firm that isn't suited to your aims and aspirations! Happy to talk if you would like to, please let me know, Gemma.

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018

Background

• Mishcon de Reya*
  • Withers*
  • Farrer and Co*
  • Burges Salmon
  • Fieldfisher
  • Forsters
  • Macfarlanes*
  • Mills & Reeve*
  • Wedlake Bell
  • Dechert
  • Freshfields
  • Harbottle & Lewis
  • Irwin Mitchell
Next steps:
  • Firm research

Hi, former international student here. I believe your graduate visa allows you to stay in the UK 2 years after graduation.

sapphireoreos

Standard Member
Feb 20, 2023
Hi, former international student here. I believe your graduate visa allows you to stay in the UK 2 years after graduation.
I’m aware that the grad visa is an option, and thanks for suggesting that! I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to meet its financial requirements by the time I apply, however.

Last edited:

sapphireoreos

Standard Member
Feb 20, 2023
Hi @sapphireoreos I hope you're well - I just read your post and it sounds like you have a good solid plan. I just wanted to draw to your attention that we don't have a private client practice (as you've listed above) in our London office. I didn't want you to spend time on an application for a firm that isn't suited to your aims and aspirations! Happy to talk if you would like to, please let me know, Gemma.
Thank you for your offer Gemma! I’m currently trying to decide whether U.S. firms is a good fit for me, as I really did enjoy the private client work experiences I’ve done. That being said, I did complete an internship in funds with a U.S. firm a few weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised over my enjoyment of non-contentious work, and I particularly enjoyed the firm’s culture. I am also very keen on training at a firm with a smaller intake, as I’ve found from experience that it is what aligns best with my working style and aspirations. I’m not super sure on what else I can do to figure out whether commercial law is for me, as I don’t want to prematurely close doors!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Thank you for your offer Gemma! I’m currently trying to decide whether U.S. firms is a good fit for me, as I really did enjoy the private client work experiences I’ve done. That being said, I did complete an internship in funds with a U.S. firm a few weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised over my enjoyment of non-contentious work, and I particularly enjoyed the firm’s culture. I am also very keen on training at a firm with a smaller intake, as I’ve found from experience that it is what aligns best with my working style and aspirations. I’m not super sure on what else I can do to figure out whether commercial law is for me, as I don’t want to prematurely close doors
HI @sapphireoreos - happy to have a chat with you about it. Please email me at [email protected] if you would like to.

• 🏆
Reactions: Jessica Booker and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.