• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Advice re. is a training contract a good decision...?

xyz

Aug 27, 2024
Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice after having a dilemma at the stage in my life where I have accepted a training contract and the firm is funding the SQE.

For London, the salary isn't great at all, in second year as usual salary rises but that will be year three (after one year of the SQE). I am due to start the study year imminently.

The TC is within the public sector with a public law emphasis. I have unfortunately, already has doubts about this and the potential or likelihood of being able to practice in a different area. I have met lawyers in private practice firms within public teams and researched the likelihood of switching into private after but haven't found concrete evidence of this.
After discussing with friends, peers, colleagues I know, the salaries as we all know in tech/sales/recruitment is so much more than in law. Being in my mid 20s I want to feel like I am making the right decision and focusing long term on my future but I can't help feeling like I'm about to fall behind/see friends earning a substantial amount without the stress of the SQE and I fear of going into a profession that isn't well paid in the future.

Any advice from trainees/qualified solicitors/those in other sectors would be much appreciated.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.