• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Advice on getting a TC with bad A-levels but in RG Uni and potential mitigating circumstances?

AA711

Sep 26, 2024
Hello, I would like advice on how to increase my chances of having a TC. Unfortunately, I didn't get the grades I wanted as I got BBC in Bio, Chem and History A-levels with an A in the EPQ. I was able to get into my Firm in York, as I had completed a Summer School program between Years 12 and 13, which lowered the grade requirements. Whilst not trying to excuse the results, I have been homeless and living in temporary accommodation during my GCSEs and sixth form, with the situation worsening this year as my council forced my family to move on short notice in the middle of Year 13 despite me writing a letter of appeal to postpone the move
.This caused a lot of mental strife as I felt severely depressed and anxious due to feeling that I didn't have any stability in my life and being scared at the time, I still deal with it as sometimes I feel that I didn't deserve to get into York.

I want to get advice on what I should do next as I am aware that some law firms have AAB minimum requirements, and many others don't have any requirements but will heavily scrutinise poor A-levels. I am aware that some Law firms do take in mitigating circumstances, but I don't know if mine would count as one(I have the paperwork from the council forcing me to move as proof). I also want to ask if could UCAS tariff could be used to overcome some firms' minimum requirements as the BBC(112 pts) + the EPQ(24pts) would be equal to 136pts which is equivalent to AAB as I am aware that some accept a tariff score.

Finally, I would like to know what I can to do equal the playing field towards those with higher grades. I am considering doing a Placement year at a firm or somewhere to have stronger experience and work experience as well as get advice from career personnel about what to do next.

Thank you for reading and I hope I don't sound like I'm victimising myself.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You have significant and serious mitigating circumstances that will be taken seriously.

Getting good grades in your degree, getting involved in extracurriculars, any work experience (whether a placement year or not), will all be things that will contribute to a strong application. Look out for careers events on campus too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.