• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Advice on 'current commercial issue' questions

christina04

Mar 22, 2024
Hi everyone! In the Sidley Austin VS application there's a question which asks applicants to describe a 'current commercial issue that has interested you'. I'm not 100% sure what counts as 'commercial' news - for example, could I discuss recent changes to employment law and how that will impact firms? Also, does the 'issue' have to be related to the firm's most reputed practice areas - e.g. with the employment law example, it's not as big of a department in Sidley as some others.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone! In the Sidley Austin VS application there's a question which asks applicants to describe a 'current commercial issue that has interested you'. I'm not 100% sure what counts as 'commercial' news - for example, could I discuss recent changes to employment law and how that will impact firms? Also, does the 'issue' have to be related to the firm's most reputed practice areas - e.g. with the employment law example, it's not as big of a department in Sidley as some others.

Any advice would be appreciated!
This would be a commercial issue as it impacts firms and their clients, as well as the wider economy.

I would tread somewhat carefully about this though as:

1) if you mean the incoming changes the Labour government are suggesting they will implement, it will be more theoretical rather than anything determined

2) I think you could potentially spin it more on how such changes may impact particular clients more so than others to ensure this is maybe of more interest to Sidley. Not every story has to be directly connected to their core practice areas, but the more you can connect it to them, it can work really well.

To ensure your answer is also more unique, I would also recommend focusing on one change (rather than multiple changes) and show the depth of analysis on that one point rather than broadly talking about various changes.

Finally, you could also talk about how it could directly impact the firm rather than their clients too.

christina04

Mar 22, 2024
This would be a commercial issue as it impacts firms and their clients, as well as the wider economy.

I would tread somewhat carefully about this though as:

1) if you mean the incoming changes the Labour government are suggesting they will implement, it will be more theoretical rather than anything determined

2) I think you could potentially spin it more on how such changes may impact particular clients more so than others to ensure this is maybe of more interest to Sidley. Not every story has to be directly connected to their core practice areas, but the more you can connect it to them, it can work really well.

To ensure your answer is also more unique, I would also recommend focusing on one change (rather than multiple changes) and show the depth of analysis on that one point rather than broadly talking about various changes.

Finally, you could also talk about how it could directly impact the firm rather than their clients too.

Thank you for your advice - I really appreciate it!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.