• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Advice for a Non-Law Student

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023
Hi all, very nervous to post this but I needed some advice. I originally undertook a Law degree and achieved a first class average in my first year. I further participated in various First Year Insight Schemes.

Due to severe mental health issues in my second year, I was forced to quit and was not provided with the opportunity by my University to redo the second year. I hence transferred degree courses and now take Accounting & Financial Management with Economics. I achieved a 83% average in my first year of this new degree and my mental health is in a much better position. However, I still truly do wish to be a lawyer and want to try applying to some vacation schemes this year. Do you think (given my degree change) that it is worth still trying to apply for legal experience? Or do you think firms will look at my history and reject me? Changing degrees had little to do with my ability or interest (and I can evidence that with the first year results). But l am apprehensive about partaking in the application season upcoming. Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, very nervous to post this but I needed some advice. I originally undertook a Law degree and achieved a first class average in my first year. I further participated in various First Year Insight Schemes.

Due to severe mental health issues in my second year, I was forced to quit and was not provided with the opportunity by my University to redo the second year. I hence transferred degree courses and now take Accounting & Financial Management with Economics. I achieved a 83% average in my first year of this new degree and my mental health is in a much better position. However, I still truly do wish to be a lawyer and want to try applying to some vacation schemes this year. Do you think (given my degree change) that it is worth still trying to apply for legal experience? Or do you think firms will look at my history and reject me? Changing degrees had little to do with my ability or interest (and I can evidence that with the first year results). But l am apprehensive about partaking in the application season upcoming. Thank you
Absolutely nothing holding you back from applying. You will need to disclose why you changed courses, but given the strength of your grades for both courses I don’t think this is going to be an issue.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss any wording on how to explain this in applications though.

Reactions: patternteddybear

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023
Absolutely nothing holding you back from applying. You will need to disclose why you changed courses, but given the strength of your grades for both courses I don’t think this is going to be an issue.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss any wording on how to explain this in applications though.
Thank you so much for your response and positive words. I definitely will be contacting you over the course of this week to determine how to best phrase why I changed courses. As I do not want to paint it in a negative light. Thank you again for offering to help :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023

I have thought about aspects to include when declaring the mitigating circumstances and have messaged you my thoughts :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.