• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

A Nervous Training Contract Journey

sammm10101

Star Member
Aug 15, 2024
Hey Everyone!

I really enjoy reading other peoples TC journey threads, so I have decided to start my own. Also, updating it will also hopefully provide another source of motivation, particularly when life gets crazy, as I very much expect it to soon as I am a final year history student. Incidentally, my first dissertation supervision is tomorrow...

I still haven't applied for any vacation schemes, mainly because my course finishes weirdly late and I would not have been able to make any of the winter dates. Also, gives me a little bit more time to bolster the noticeably light extracurricular sections of my applications. Societies at uni WILL be seeing my face, and enough to make them sick of me. What I have been applying for, however, are Open Days. I am currently writing out my Open Day application for Watson Farley & Williams, and am getting scared because the firm seems sooo interesting and aligned with my interests 😭 😭 prepping for the heartbreak early ig. I was successful for my application for an Open Day at HL which is really exciting, and am still waiting to hear back from HSF.

I had to miss a pretty amazing event, to meet the entire magic circle at A&O's office because I was in the absolute trenches with freshers flu, which turned into proper flu. You win some you lose some ig haha I keep telling myself.

Also am waiting to hear back for an incredibly rogue event with HSF, which is cocktail making with current trainees and other solicitors. I cannot lie, it sounds incredibly fun. Being rejected (waiting listed) for a Reed Smith Open Day hurt a little, but I am still weirdly confident with my chances. I think it comes down to the fact I am yet to make a proper VC application though 💀 That will be my next challenge...

I guess another reason for the confidence was my success with an online assessment for BNP Paribas, which is apparently like an 50-80% fail rate. That confidence evaporated at the following 'interview', which was 30 minutes of commercial awareness, that was fine, but the second 30 minutes was all on MENTAL MATHS and mathmatical logic 😭😭😭 I still havent heard back, but something tells me it didnt go too well...

Last edited:

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hey Everyone!

I really enjoy reading other peoples TC journey threads, so I have decided to start my own. Also, updating it will also hopefully provide another source of motivation, particularly when life gets crazy, as I very much expect it to soon as I am a final year history student. Incidentally, my first dissertation supervision is tomorrow...

I still haven't applied for any vacation schemes, mainly because my course finishes weirdly late and I would not have been able to make any of the winter dates. Also, gives me a little bit more time to bolster the noticeably light extracurricular sections of my applications. Societies at uni WILL be seeing my face, and enough to make them sick of me. What I have been applying for, however, are Open Days. I am currently writing out my Open Day application for Watson Farley & Williams, and am getting scared because the firm seems sooo interesting and aligned with my interests 😭 😭 prepping for the heartbreak early ig. I was successful for my application for an Open Day at HL which is really exciting, and am still waiting to hear back from HSF.

I had to miss a pretty amazing event, to meet the entire magic circle at A&O's office because I was in the absolute trenches with freshers flu, which turned into proper flu. You win some you lose some ig haha I keep telling myself.

Also am waiting to hear back for an incredibly rogue event with HSF, which is cocktail making with current trainees and other solicitors. I cannot lie, it sounds incredibly fun. Being rejected (waiting listed) for a Reed Smith Open Day hurt a little, but I am still weirdly confident with my chances. I think it comes down to the fact I am yet to make a proper VC application though 💀 That will be my next challenge...

I guess another reason for the confidence was my success with an online assessment for BNP Paribas, which is apparently like an 50-80% fail rate. That confidence evaporated at the following 'interview', which was 30 minutes of commercial awareness, that was fine, but the second 30 minutes was all on MENTAL MATHS and mathmatical logic 😭😭😭 I still havent heard back, but something tells me it didnt go too well...
Hey @sammm10101, I think it's great you started this thread now rather than after you got your TC! Of course, it is great to hear of people's success, but it's also really valuable to see someone's journey as it is developing in real time. I really look forward to seeing how you progress throughout this year :)!

Also, good job on all your open day applications - I think many applicants seriously underate their usefulness. While I do think it will be good to get started on your VS apps over the next few weeks, now is a great time to build you application writing skills and your candidate profile by attending open days!

sammm10101

Star Member
Aug 15, 2024
Hey everyone,

I have finally made the leap, and sent off my first vacation scheme application of this cycle (to A&O Shearman)! I have also been drafting two more (BCLP and Jones Day), and aim to get them both sent off as soon as possible.

I have a pretty unique event coming up next week, to mix cocktails at a bar with some current trainees and associates at HSF, along with members of their early careers team. Incredibly excited, yet also scared I'll drink the cocktails too quickly and who knows what will happen.

Also, the week afterwards, I have two back to back open days with HSF and Hogan Lovells. I feel like after I attend these, I really really want to start sending off all of my applications, they are the final last-ditch effort to bolster any of my work experience sections for my applications. Hope everyone else is doing well on their own VC/TC journeys:p

VC Apps Sent: 1

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hey everyone,

I have finally made the leap, and sent off my first vacation scheme application of this cycle (to A&O Shearman)! I have also been drafting two more (BCLP and Jones Day), and aim to get them both sent off as soon as possible.

I have a pretty unique event coming up next week, to mix cocktails at a bar with some current trainees and associates at HSF, along with members of their early careers team. Incredibly excited, yet also scared I'll drink the cocktails too quickly and who knows what will happen.

Also, the week afterwards, I have two back to back open days with HSF and Hogan Lovells. I feel like after I attend these, I really really want to start sending off all of my applications, they are the final last-ditch effort to bolster any of my work experience sections for my applications. Hope everyone else is doing well on their own VC/TC journeys:p

VC Apps Sent: 1
Huge congrats on all these events invites and for your first VS app @sammm10101! Keep this up 🥳🤩!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.