• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

A lost graduate

kavin333

Aug 10, 2024
I think it's a bit of both. Self-funding's an option, but it's a big investment. And yeah, being in a small town can limit opportunities.

Have you thought about internships or online remote work to get some experience?

crt1s

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2023
Completely resonate with your situation. I have decided to hold off on self-funding until the February intake hoping to make some progress before then.

For the time being, I am focused on winter vac scheme apps, open days, other events (Aspiring Solicitors/Bright Network etc).

Are there any small local firms that are commutable, it may be worth writing them a letter or just popping by to see if there are any opportunities, paid or unpaid. Also consider part-time work that could provide some transferable skills

Reactions: Jessica Booker

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
Completely resonate with your situation. I have decided to hold off on self-funding until the February intake hoping to make some progress before then.

For the time being, I am focused on winter vac scheme apps, open days, other events (Aspiring Solicitors/Bright Network etc).

Are there any small local firms that are commutable, it may be worth writing them a letter or just popping by to see if there are any opportunities, paid or unpaid. Also consider part-time work that could provide some transferable skills
I’ve got some part time non-law experience thankfully. There’s a few high street firms but they rarely give out work experience and if so, it’s usually via contacts or a protracted application process.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.