• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

A 2:2 in a first year module

Mm1245

Jul 4, 2024
Hi I am I my first year and I got an overall 60.27% but I have a 58.5 in my contract module. I also have some pretty dire extenuating circumstances. Will this impact my chances at securing a vac scheme at a US or silver circle firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you have extenuating circumstances, these will be taken into account and I would encourage you to declare them.

Even if you didn’t have the circumstances, many of these firms recruit people later on in their academics though, so if you did get your grades up in your second/third years, you would be able to apply later on with stronger grades.

Aks.Khurana

Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 13, 2023
    Hi @Mm1245, seconding what Jess said above!

I'm a future trainee at Latham & Watkins - I applied in both my first and second years successfully with a 2:2 in Land law. The firm didn't have a problem with it! A strong performance in your subsequent years will compensate for any issues in the first year. And, of course, most firms treat extenuating circumstances very seriously.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.